Longnetting Muntjac

liongeorge

I have been asked to remove a Munty from a very large deer fenced garden. It is v flat and does not lend itself to to shooting also I don't want to waste time not getting a shot at the little bugger. On talking to the gardener they have tried moving it before and there are a couple of places he can guarentee it to run. So I was thinking of setting up my long nets , I have 2 x 50 yd 6z nets.

I have prepared them to pay me for damaged nets etc

Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts experiences etc

Cheers George

IMHO those nets are not man enough for the job. Not only will the Munty destroy the nets it could be very likely that it would really hurt it's self in the process.

If I were to tackle a job like that I would use at least an 8" mesh and a net of no less than 12 z or better still a multi mono of 2. x 10 strand with a drop of not less than 5 ft

TC

• Like 1

I know a lad who long netted a wallaby with a 6z quick set! But he got to it as soon as it hit.

You'd need to be there very fast otherwise the net would be shread! Wallabys are strong critters! :icon_eek:

Also, I think it is illegal to net wild deer......

Edited by J Darcy
  • Like 1

I know a lad who long netted a wallaby with a 6z quick set! But he got to it as soon as it hit.

You'd need to be there very fast otherwise the net would be shread! Wallabys are strong critters! :icon_eek:

Also, I think it is illegal to net wild deer......

On purpose!

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

nothing cruel with netting deer they do it all over the world from simple natives usng 5 inch net 40 pound plus braking strain , or a heavy duty tangle net ten inch mesh saw them used in foreign countries , no difrence than legal deer netting ,apart from it tangles them ,met men who are tree surgoens fishermen, who cleaned a few deer problems with old salmon net and walked them in and put them some were more appropraite ,u want 8 mm top and bottom line set on the half 100yard makes fifty ,ive saw them do it with hare counts run them in and trap them and count them for health and disease ,there was an article in an edrd mag 20 years plus shows a man with three roe buck a dog and nets goos clean way of pestcontrol, m c glenn