Colour Feeding Goldfinches

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I've seen colour fed goldies take the red into the yellow on the wings and they look a mess, thistle heads and dandelion leaves etc are meant to be good. I think a firm brought something out specially for goldies blazes too but I can't remember what it's called.

• Like 2

Use carophyll yellow to avoid frosting the wingbars.

Plenty wild seed and good diet will naturally enhance mask without need for colour food.

Hurlock

Its impossible to obtain the colour of a wild bird in a captive environment,thus the need for the use of supplements.

Who said anything about achieving the colour of a wild bird?

Lad asked about improving the mask of his goldies. Carophyll red will frost the yellow wingbars of his birds which is a major fault if he wants to show them.

Only way to feed red to pates is to wait for the wingbar primaries to come through first then feeding it, the mask being the last feathers to colour up after the moult.

Yellow carophyll won't do this but will enhance the mask.

Far better in my opinion would be for the lad to get out and pick what the wild birds are eating I.e. Dock, plantain (rat tails), teazle, thistle and chickweed if you can find it.

Will also offer the secondary Heath benefits a bird needs when moulting.

What magic supplements you recommending then Morton? How many goldies you keep?

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...
On 28/09/2015 at 07:28, Hurlock said:

Who said anything about achieving the colour of a wild bird?

Lad asked about improving the mask of his goldies. Carophyll red will frost the yellow wingbars of his birds which is a major fault if he wants to show them.

Only way to feed red to pates is to wait for the wingbar primaries to come through first then feeding it, the mask being the last feathers to colour up after the moult.

Yellow carophyll won't do this but will enhance the mask.

Far better in my opinion would be for the lad to get out and pick what the wild birds are eating I.e. Dock, plantain (rat tails), teazle, thistle and chickweed if you can find it.

Will also offer the secondary Heath benefits a bird needs when moulting.

What magic supplements you recommending then Morton? How many goldies you keep?

Ano it's an old post this by six years but it's true an for anyone wanting to know now just wait till the primaries have come through then you can start colour feeding or just my red mask from ornitalia but you may find it hard with what's gone on with the EU guys. Or just go out and get some primrose an safflower or buy the seeds atb

• Like 1
17 hours ago, fireman said:

Why anyone wants to mess around with perfection i have no idea,a good healthy diet and mother nature does the rest..

Primrose and safflower with dog rose will give the mask a bright deep red pigment fireman. Think it's safer nowa days to buy in than going foraging with all the pesticides around specially when you've got expensive birds 

• Like 1