Went to bring the roller out to the sun yesterday morning and there were feathers every where in cage on ground,,,,,,,,,too many to be normal,,,,,,,,,,,,think he plucked himself has lot of feather missing,,,,,,,,will he be ok,,,,,,,,looks happy and healthy,,,,,but fucck it must have hurt............

• Like 1

Just moulting mate, they moult every year about this time. Feed him some eggfood with a few garden peas every other day while he's moulting. I just defrost a few frozen peas, there cheap as chips and the canaries love them

• Like 2

Lads first time keeping the goldfinches threw a moult an there ruff looking as if there going die when they go soft but there grand an lively anything to help them out please .and help bring back nice mask .cheers del

Edited by delboy_187

Get some red colour feed for them mate, you can buy ready mixed eggfood with it in or just buy the chlorophyll red to pop in the birds water and eggfood.

Not really needed or makes much difference imo

As much natural food as you can

That's the one :yes: and also just as important access to a bird bath on a daily basis.. :thumbs: .

• Like 2

Took canary out of cage to have look,,,,,,can see lot of new feathers have broke though skin,,,,,,,has no tail feathers on him lol looks weird,,,,,,tail feathers were bit dirty because for some reason in the summer he started to spend lot of time shredding paper on bottom of cage,,,,,, now the new one will be lovely :D clean him out every 2 days and give loads of baths,,,,, loves apples pears lettuce and of course seed.........

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Canary finished moulting all new feathers,,,,,, singing his head off now,,,,,, Fireman right about the baths I think it helps a lot with the moulting.........

My finches are ruff as fcuk compared to those in my flight .found my first two ever bred goldie mules dead this morn in double breeder together baffled maybe something they ate that I picked

What makes different birds moult worse or better.......my Goldies although down on colour a bit still look fine but a couple of Canaries are looking the worse for wear......and then a little Mule hen ive got looks immaculate......they are all under much the same conditions.

the moult takes it out of them gnash,as you know , I suppose some are fitter than others so cope better even under same conditions,one thing I don't do is touch /catch birds in moult,i like to leave them be if poss, but due to probs this year I had to let some go in moult and they coped just fine,so its another mystery of bird keeping :thumbs:

• Like 1