Romeo X Fly Pups

Fair play to you rew. A lot of people would just let it get bounced around.

Mabel is coming on well, recall is still ropey because she just ignores everything and sticks her head down as soon as she gets her nose on something. Resorted to an electric collar and just using the vibrate function which seems to be working, only needed to use more encouragement a couple of times but she is responding well to it. It's a daft problem to have because I dont want to discourage her from marking and hunting but the little sod needs to listen or she can't be trusted enough to be worked!

I've picked up another couple of decent perms so hoping to get her out with the ferrets and see how she goes on land where there isn't the risk of her getting hit by a car if the little sod doesn't stop when I need her to.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bud now 8 and half months old. 25tts

Nearly two weeks old now and all seven (4bitches & 3dogs) pups are doing great. most have doubled there size in 12 days. just starting to open their eyes. Its been a stressful first week with fly

A nice pic of mother and son.

Posted Images

Let me know how the collar works because i might need I with mine. I had bud lamping first Time other night and he caught 12 rabbits and retrieved well but if he missed one, he put his nose down and went of trying to find another. It did get very annoying and really tested my patience but everything else is spot on.

Nipper the new pup is totally different. Hes very well behaved but a b*****d for barking when left alone. I cant wait to start biking the two of them and burning some energy off. Better still when they are working. I got high hopes for them both. Nice one jax keep me posted. Get me some pics of Mabel standing please. Cheers

she's not stationary long enough to get a pic of her standing! never known a dog like it to be honest. gave her a good 6 mile walk the other week, came home and she was play fighting and charging around after the lab for 2 hours straight, its no wonder I still can't get any weight on her and its not helped the last few weeks because i've been stupidly busy with work and all the fields have only just been cut for hay so the 4ft tall grass was stopping me running her on the ball each day.

she seems to be coming along well on the collar, beep and vibrate are both working for getting her to come back in or come away from things, i tend to use the beep at night so i can at least work out where she is if she has gone out of the beam & into the long grass.

as nice as she is, I think next time I get a pup itll be labrador or spaniel shaped again, those buggers arrive part trained at 8 weeks old & i've never known a dog as hard to break as mabel has been!

Edited by Jax13
  • 3 weeks later...

The pup I had back (nipper) caught 5 rabbits on his debut lamping . He did eat half his first rabbit but after that he just stood over them. Most importantly his shoulder didn't effect his running.

post-2179-0-01820000-1472051890_thumb.jpg

Edited by REW

I have always been worried about selling him because of the injury to his shoulder but maybe I will after I have done some work with him.

Cheers dodger, they were a year old yesterday. They have had a cracking start. Could have had some better training but that will come I hope, the more I take them out.

• 3 months later...

A few pics of Mabel from yesterday.

Had her out working for the first time about a fortnight ago and we bagged 14, all netted but she was catching on to what was happening and was great around the ferrets (but like a tit I forgot to take my phone or camera on the day)

20161222_150249.jpg

20161222_150256.jpg

20161222_150300_028.jpg

20161222_150219.jpg

20161222_150153.jpg

• Like 3

She looks lovely mate and in great order. Shes got a nice size chest on her too. Hows her recall now? What height is she? Thanks for the update.

she recalls like a c$%& still! very erratic, if she wants to listen she does, if shes got her nose on something theres no point even shouting her. at least when a spaniel wants to do its own thing it looks at you as if to say "piss off - your not the boss of me!" she doesn't even flick an ear, the ignorant little bugger!!!

recall sorts itself out a bit if i resort to the shock collar (usually vibrate is enough to get her attention but she does need the occasional tickle of encouragement but I'll break her into something resembling obedient eventually!

she has a great prey drive though and her nose is barely off the ground and i'm not really going to be running her on the lamp, the recall issue isnt as bad as it would be because she will stay visible, she is just far more interested in following scent than listening to me. Because I need her for daytime ferreting around the nets and the occasional bolt I'm happy to work her with the collar on as I know I can keep her out of trouble and I'm hoping starting working her will focus her a bit more and make her realise fun things happen when she listens to me. I will not be defeated by a dog!!!

I'll stick a tape on her when I get chance, she is deceptively tall because of being lean but I don't think of her as a big dog particularly as she doesn't have the presence that moose has despite her being an inch or two taller at the shoulder.

• 3 months later...