Guild Of Net Makers

Leeview

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well where to start, we left home Friday late morning and arrived at Weston Park mid afternoon to find tiercel already settled in with the kettle on, introductions were made as we had never met in the

What can I add? I have just had the most pleasurable weekend I have had for some years, spoke about nothing else but long netting and long nets to people who actually wanted to talk about them. I also

Glad everything worked out well for you guys, cant wait for the footage ..as for the guys who came in and showed you the pic..well they gotta be Yorkshire men..you know the saying " Tha can allus tell

be good to see some pro net makers made a few over the years ,since i was a boy trawl nets gill nets rabbit nets etc didnt realise there was a guild for making long netts good idea , been running nets quite a bit lately in the dark for rabbs using an old lurcher been pretty handy for shitty land not suitable for lamp and dog , had good succses just need the [BANNED TEXT] weather to hit it write

Well where to start, we left home Friday late morning and arrived at Weston Park mid afternoon to find tiercel already settled in with the kettle on, introductions were made as we had never met in the flesh before. I started setting up ready for Saturday morning's start, tables chairs sorted out in the marquee, pictures hung and then retire for the night, initially there was to be 4 of us manning the demo but through family illness and personal injury there was tiercel, Flynn and myself left, we spoke about this situation and agreed " Field of Dreams" you build it and people will come, so we pressed on.

Saturday morning early start and on site before 7am in a heavy mist that burnt off by 9, blindate owner of Landmark Rabbit Control who kindly sponsored our forum had travelled up through the night arriving at 6am. We commenced running out the array of long nets, drop net, pocket nets(very impressed with these)stop nets and traditional long nets, by this time the public were arriving and the questions started tiercel was busy repairing nets that were brought in to be fixed and then running nets out pegging as he went. this more or less was how the day panned out several members introduced them selves and thanked for their support,NOT forgetting the pies and cakes that were brought :thumbs: at one stage it was looking more like the W.I. stall(they know who they are) and much appreciated they were. It was hectic cant deny that but so rewarding chatting with like minded people that shared a passion for long nets both making and using them, some just starting out others who recalled how their fathers had done them and what they used to make them material wise. It was surprising how quick 6pm came round and Saturday drew to a close.

The alarm went off early Sunday morning and headed back on site well before 7am the traffic not being as busy which seemed odd. Set up again and carried on in much the same vein as Saturday and managed to do some knitting during the day in between explaining the different nets and the scenarios in which they come in handy. blinddate did a couple of hours of filming before leaving to make his way home 4hrs away. It was definately the colder day of the weekend but it never rained which was a plus.eventually the show closed and time to pack away.

To sum up the weekend :tiercel (what a gent :yes: )was right" build it and the people did come",he's a mine of information and can converse why its done like that through experience and patience. there are ideas in the pipeline for next year already

thanks to tiercel for everything,Flynn for meet and greet in the marquee(and the coffees)and with Sophies help keeping their eyes on the display items and blinddate and Landmark Rabbit Control for sponsoring the banners and t shirts

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 9

What can I add? I have just had the most pleasurable weekend I have had for some years, spoke about nothing else but long netting and long nets to people who actually wanted to talk about them. I also gained some knowledge off other folk, who do things differently but with the same outcome. It was brilliant to see some people older than my self who still have a little dabble with the nets now and again. One chap about the same age as myself recalled to me how his father used to make nets out of cotton, I was captivated. He went on to say how his father would set the nets up on the miners cricket and foot ball field to clean them, and the groundsman telling him he could not do that. His fathers reply was I'm a miner so am entitled to use this grass as I like. Then some of the youngsters who wanted to know everything, really keen, and they are the future long netters.

On the drive up I was wondering what it would be like spending a couple of days with people I had not actually met? From the moment we met we got along like a house on fire. I can say with all honesty Leeview and Flynn are two of the nicest most welcoming people I have ever had the privilege of meeting, even if the three of us do have "Teflon Brains." I also met some of the members off of here and real nice knowledgeable people to talk to.

To be honest there were some characters that came into the tent, One chap came in with the opening line of. "How many rabbits dost thou catch with thy nets?" When I told him it depends how many rabbits are where your netting. He turned to his mate and says "show him, show him the photo, this is what we catch, can thou match that?" And his mate produces a photo on his phone of well over a hundred rabbits laid out.

"We caught those all by purse nets thou knows, no need for all this gear." It was still early on the Saturday morning and not many other people about, so as they left I walked out behind them and stood at the front of the tent, they then went in to the NOBS tent next door and you could here him starting with the same story again, "show him the photo." I really enjoyed that little exchange.

It surprised me the number of young people who wanted to know about the traditional style of netting, and when I was showing them how to set the nets out, most were asking the right questions in the right places, it showed that they were actually thinking about what I was doing and wanted to know more. If what I seen yesterday and Saturday is a true reflection of the interest in traditional long netting then it is not going to die out any time soon, we just have to keep spreading the word.

To sum up the weekend, when is the next one? I cannot wait.

TC

• Like 8

Nice to read i think longnetting is one of those things that is beyond me i can just about run out a quickset good to see people willing to share their experience. :thumbs:

it's not hard just need's practice

you have not seen my attempts smithie :laugh:

• Like 2

One of the best moments of the whole weekend for me was a beautiful young girl came in and wanted to know how to make nets. She was left handed and had nails like Bella Lugosi in a vampire film. But fair play to her she got it, within 10 minutes she was knitting away like a good un.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 5

One of the best moments of the whole weekend for me was a beautiful young girl came in and wanted to know how to make nets. She was left handed and had nails like Bella Lugosi in a vampire film. But fair play to here she got it, within 10 minutes she was knitting away like a good un.

TC

True tiercel, in your earlier post the keeper who's dad was the miner from Doncaster, tell the members how he made his twine for the long nets ;) we dont know how lucky we are :laugh:

Y.I.S Leeview :laugh: