Strange Night With Dog

Hi,,, went out to a few local fields last night at took my mates bitch, she been out quiet a lot and does very well,last night 15 easy runs and the dog didn't perform well at all. I lamps the first bunnie bang in middle of field sat tight as could be mate walked her down the beam, up it jumped dog Cracking video trev, nice dog too love seen the whippet workin like that spot on hope u have plenty more fun days out ? gave chase twisting an turning but looked to me as if she was just running at side of it, I though strange wat happened there told my friend to check her over, all looked fine so off we went next fuked same again kamped a bunnie just sat there slipped dog off they went, the dog then just gave up and jogged another one got away!!!!

Next one she catches then I am thinkin her confidence will be up na, next one dog chases rabbit the runs around a tree and the dog just gives up again and pulls up,, she was stopping well before the hedges,giving up, wat do people think,,, my opinion is the bitch has had something it has coursed and it's turned round and bite her na she is scared to pick anything up ??

Edited by steveweekes

Sorry but have to disagree with you bird. A bright moon doesn't effect a dogs ability to catch. That's not the excuse of the dog not catching sounds like the dog doesn't want it but that's just my opinion. :thumbs: A lad I know ad a whippet that would run along side hares and rabbits all day long and not pick them up but put another dog there and it was a different story.

Sorry but have to disagree with you bird. A bright moon doesn't effect a dogs ability to catch. That's not the excuse of the dog not catching sounds like the dog doesn't want it but that's just my opinion. :thumbs: A lad I know ad a whippet that would run along side hares and rabbits all day long and not pick them up but put another dog there and it was a different story.

all it is , is that light night will get rabbits away a lot more quicker than dark night , when its light there in the edge that muck quicker, a dark windy night a dog got few secs on the rabbit longer, which can be a catch or not :yes: , both my dogs can get good bags of rabbits in most places ive took them, but when its light,no wind etc its all to the advantage to the rabbit deff, I ve caught rabbit on full moon many a time, but I know what easier night for a dog . :thumbs:

all it is , is that light night will get rabbits away a lot more quicker than dark night , when its light there in the edge that muck quicker, a dark windy night a dog got few secs on the rabbit longer, which can be a catch or not :yes: , both my dogs can get good bags of rabbits in most places ive took them, but when its light,no wind etc its all to the advantage to the rabbit deff, I ve caught rabbit on full moon many a time, but I know what easier night for a dog . :thumbs:

Imo if you wait for the dark nights to go out you will hardly be out during the season. And weather it's dark or light a dog should be making the catch he said the rabbits where in the middle of the field.

But he said the dog was pulling up and running along side the rabbit?

The best lamping conditions in the world won't help that.

Sounds like an injury to me?

I had my bitch on the the lamp one night and every time a rabbit turned she lost it which never happened before she never had a problem striking when a rabbit turned so I brought her to a greyhound man I know and he done a thing called manipulating I think and he stretched her neck up and down side to side and when I brought her lamping again she was bang on turning and striking

Imo if you wait for the dark nights to go out you will hardly be out during the season. And weather it's dark or light a dog should be making the catch he said the rabbits where in the middle of the field.

Just rotate it when the moons up get em out in the day ground permiting then out with the lamp the next black week that's how Iv always done it anyway..

i would look for a injury.

the dog i am running at the moement was playing up for me for a while never refused a run the just after he turned 2 i had all sorts of problems with him. half hearted runs pulling up early not picking some rabbits up. turns out his front dew claws were giving him some serious pain had them removed and touch wood hes been fine ever since. took me a few nights to work out what was causing the problem but i get there in the end.