Most Durable Type Of Lurcher

It's not just the durability though is it? I've had fragile-looking little Whippety things, albeit with Saluki in them, and some have survived many seasons work whilst others have killed themselves early on in their life. IMO it's more about how aware (spatial awareness), sensible (self-preservation) and quick-thinking a dog is. As well as where it works of course.

that's the word penny I was after ( self-preservation ) , Bryn got bucket loads lol , Buck got( not) as much as him at the moment lol, but you never know these clever sensitive types , they can think a bit to much at times . :yes:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can have the toughest strongest Muhammad Bruce Lee of the lurcher world if that dog is 100% committed to its job it is going to get injured at some point during the season ... There is nothing sof

It's a fine balance though, would you rather have something that never got injured but never caught anything either? Sometimes it's the triers that get injured and there's nothing you can do about it.

My old beardy first cross was very durable. Some dogs are plain unlucky regarding injuries.

Posted Images

the amount of work a dog has plays a part in how injury prone they get. heavily worked dogs are steadier and hardened off more than your once a week dogs. they are also more concious of there suroundings there for less lightly to pick up a injury

you get lads with dogs that only go out once or twice a week and there dog always seems to be going home with some sort of problem because they are more reckless trying to make the most of there outings and pay more attention to making the catch and ar not so much aware of the hazards around them during the run.

• Like 2

the amount of work a dog has plays a part in how injury prone they get. heavily worked dogs are steadier and hardened off more than your once a week dogs. they are also more concious of there suroundings there for less lightly to pick up a injury

you get lads with dogs that only go out once or twice a week and there dog always seems to be going home with some sort of problem because they are more reckless trying to make the most of there outings and pay more attention to making the catch and ar not so much aware of the hazards around them during the run.

yeh fair point that :thumbs:

It's a fair point some just down reckless others have lots a self preservation ,and being out at a early age they seem in fact a knows they cover the land and woods like they been born in em ,style of running can have a bearing also them crazy off the mark type while look impressive can come a cropper in deep thick woodland ,a steadier relaxed type handles harsh land so much beta.watch a fallow cover thick dense cover at t speed they glide through it with out a blemish dogs can be the same depends on the animal and style and gait movement .atbbunnys.

• Like 2

I had a beddy grey that never seemed to get injured, then another one that spent half its life crashing into things...I think half of it is the dogs mentality and as gaz said its physical makeup. Good feet and coat being most important imo, the rest is down to luck...

Had 2 dogs that never had a injury in there life's but died in the feild one was a 3/4collie greyhound broke it's neck it was 8 yesrs old the other was a beddy whippet greyhound broke it's back he was 5 the only injury they had killed them the ground I run is rough so I favour the beddy crosses seem to take the knocks

The wheaten types can take knock too ...lol also luck and know when walk away if grounds rough and uve got feeling the night ain't going your way...

post-53576-0-23509100-1441385358_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

We were out foxing with a foot pack in winter and it had froze hard and as we walked across some plough a hare got up. My mates 2 collie crosses and my bull cross took after it .After 20 yds both the collie crosses had pulled up.My dog carried on and I watched this hare running my dog inside out up and down they went with me cursing.My mate cursed his dogs calling em all sorts. My dog came hobbling back across the plough empty handed and spent the rest of the day in the truck while my mate had a few foxes with his dogs . Mine the better stronger dog? I think not. The collie crosses had the sense to pull up and believe me they were nt quitters on hares or fox .The half cross collie or bull greyhounds were like land rovers really kept plodding on taking some good knocks. The more hound was added it seemed the more prone to injury they became

• Like 1

Like as been said, no definitive answer on this one. But like JD, i like and will only keep 'do or diers' and i'll take the heartache that comes with em. Though with this attitude dogs can either be lucky or have a certain sommat that can see em almost injury free, whilst dogs of near identical breeding and style are perminant wrecks. I wish i knew what makes the difference but i guess thats the million dollar answer.

If someone asked me to name a hardy type, i'd probably say 'good' pastoral blooded dogs (beardy especially) and saluki bloods too. Bull bloods are a mixed bag and the good ones, by thier very nature, can have early retirements but not all..!

Types that worry me in this subject are the deerhound bloods and some whippets but, like with all the rest, there are many exceptions..

;)

What would worry you about the deerhound blooded lurchers injury wise Bosun? Just out of interest...

Only that i've seen (and known) of a few that have come real croppers over the years. Those big rangy dogs dont 'usually' bounce too well and can struggle with obsticles with that long strided gallop. Lot's of exceptions to this though, TimmyK has a great bitch out of a big Deerhoundy dog (that broke it's neck!) and this bitch is 'the' most agile, suicidal big dog i've ever seen run. I predict her doom every time i see her out and she's about 7 now..!

Lots of predominantly greyhound blooded dogs can live most of their short lives in the sick bay but when talking lurchers we usually talk about the breed that makes the cross, rather than the greyhound or whippet.

We were out foxing with a foot pack in winter and it had froze hard and as we walked across some plough a hare got up. My mates 2 collie crosses and my bull cross took after it .After 20 yds both the collie crosses had pulled up.My dog carried on and I watched this hare running my dog inside out up and down they went with me cursing.My mate cursed his dogs calling em all sorts. My dog came hobbling back across the plough empty handed and spent the rest of the day in the truck while my mate had a few foxes with his dogs . Mine the better stronger dog? I think not. The collie crosses had the sense to pull up and believe me they were nt quitters on hares or fox .The half cross collie or bull greyhounds were like land rovers really kept plodding on taking some good knocks. The more hound was added it seemed the more prone to injury they became

:thumbs: a lot of colliexs are like that got one here lol, my 1x gsd x grey is like a collie x grey in a lot of ways in temp regards being over sensitive/wimpy nature, but when he got his hunting head on lol, I find him more full on in the field well he is at moment he 3 year old, don't know if he will change, and go like a collie x do ,he had few bangs but still seems very keen when that lamp goes on . :thumbs:

Many years ago now I ran a three quarter greyhound quarter collie. He was from Hancock out of a half cross called stormin Norman to a greyhound bitch.He was the easiest dog I ve had to train and he could cover some ground . He hit 5 bar gates wire and I would lamp him on all terrain and his feet were nigh on injury free. He stood at 28 inches and was well muscled but the coward would not touch anything with teeth.We parted company when he was 2 and a half years old . He d had more than enough chances by then