Help Please

How can I get my lurcher to start jumping gates and fences etc?

Started her off 6 months ago with scaffold boards between two gate posts, adding a board every month or so, she can jump about four foot over these but she just tries to get under fences or gates and if she can't she whines

I have tried walking away but end up walking back lol

Hi,..it is good that you are trying to school your young lurcher...

Surmounting barriers and getting over (or through) obstacles is just one part of a working dog's education,.but it is a discipline, well worth teaching...Some dogs are natural jumpers, they just love getting 'up and over',.but, alongside fetching and retrieving captured quarry, back to the operative,.. it is not always an inherent trait...

Sometimes a dog needs a wee bit of help... :yes:

I start them young,..in fact,..as soon as a whelp can stumble around, I create barriers that he must negotiate in order to get to me, or to his food....Nothing silly of course,.just things that cause him to become mentally accustomed to the action of climbing, scrambling and obviously, of falling.. :laugh:

There is no mystery to jumping gates and fences,...a fit and healthy running dog is a canine athlete.

He can get over most things that are in his way,.but the danger time is frequently encountered on the way down,..so it pays to allow a dog to learn this important skill over a period of time..

The 'walking away' method can sometimes force a dog to give it a brave go and to make that leap,.but it can also encourage a lurcher to panic the jump,.. and feck up badly....

All schooling should be fun, good craic,.etc....and the results of a good start are frequently long lived.

It is a great sight to see an accomplished and skillful canine clearing great heights, but one should always try and emulate natural and realistic heights,...it is not a high jumping competition...

We are not trying to break out of a high security Prison !

Facts are, it is dangerous, out there,..so slowly and surely is the best way... :thumbs:

File009p3.jpg

Good sense I've seen a dog panic at the thought of being left behind, he gave it a go and got wired.

• Like 1

How can I get my lurcher to start jumping gates and fences etc?

Started her off 6 months ago with scaffold boards between two gate posts, adding a board every month or so, she can jump about four foot over these but she just tries to get under fences or gates and if she can't she whines

I have tried walking away but end up walking back lol

Hi,..it is good that you are trying to school your young lurcher...

Surmounting barriers and getting over (or through) obstacles is just one part of a working dog's education,.but it is a discipline, well worth teaching...Some dogs are natural jumpers, they just love getting 'up and over',.but, alongside fetching and retrieving captured quarry, back to the operative,.. it is not always an inherent trait...

Sometimes a dog needs a wee bit of help... :yes:

I start them young,..in fact,..as soon as a whelp can stumble around, I create barriers that he must negotiate in order to get to me, or to his food....Nothing silly of course,.just things that cause him to become mentally accustomed to the action of climbing, scrambling and obviously, of falling.. :laugh:

There is no mystery to jumping gates and fences,...a fit and healthy running dog is a canine athlete.

He can get over most things that are in his way,.but the danger time is frequently encountered on the way down,..so it pays to allow a dog to learn this important skill over a period of time..

The 'walking away' method can sometimes force a dog to give it a brave go and to make that leap,.but it can also encourage a lurcher to panic the jump,.. and feck up badly....

All schooling should be fun, good craic,.etc....and the results of a good start are frequently long lived.

It is a great sight to see an accomplished and skillful canine clearing great heights, but one should always try and emulate natural and realistic heights,...it is not a high jumping competition...

We are not trying to break out of a high security Prison !

Facts are, it is dangerous, out there,..so slowly and surely is the best way... :thumbs:

File009p3.jpg

Good sense I've seen a dog panic at the thought of being left behind, he gave it a go and got wired.

+1. A dog caught to jump different objects on command gradually will do it for fun and with confidence.