Young Springer

Hey lads I have 12 month old springer who I take on rabbits .he has only been out 3 times and is going ok .I have older dog that runs cover and was wondering would it be good idea to run him along with the older dog.just to show him the ropes

Out "3" times at 12 months of age,seriously retire now before you have to take it out more,at a year old the average busher may have been out a little more than 3 times,the little more getting closer to the double and treble hundreds.

Guest foxpack

if your using him for a gun dog ,basically at 12 month keep him on that track ,because if your walking up gear with a spaniel he wont or should,nt be working to far in front of you basically for shogun range etc,,so if you start letting run about about wih other dogs he wont no how far he is allowed to range ,Plus a spaniel should,nt need a mentor in cover because they love to bush naurally.P.S i have my self ruined a highly trained spaniel bitch once that was 100% gun trained .i as a young boy took her out and let her do what she wanted ,even converted her to hunt deer,,haaa,,my old man was,nt to chuffed , :thumbs:

• Like 5

if your using him for a gun dog ,basically at 12 month keep him on that track ,because if your walking up gear with a spaniel he wont or should,nt be working to far in front of you basically for shogun range etc,,so if you start letting run about about wih other dogs he wont no how far he is allowed to range ,Plus a spaniel should,nt need a mentor in cover because they love to bush naurally.P.S i have my self ruined a highly trained spaniel bitch once that was 100% gun trained .i as a young boy took her out and let her do what she wanted ,even converted her to hunt deer,,haaa,,my old man was,nt to chuffed , :thumbs:

Lol.but how did she go?

If he's a gun dog and he drops on a flush to the whistle on pheasent do you think you can teach him he can hunt on with Rabbit ?once flushed or will he drop like on a bird? I will have this with mine when its old enough so might let it hunt on with ground game then try to stop it on birds after, anybody had a spaniel trained this way?

I'm curious to what u mean ? I had this dog out today and hunts 20 yards of cover fine then pops out runs down the outside and pops in again .it's funny cause there is scent there and can't understand why he wouldn't keep going inside??

your Expecting a dog that has been bred for years to hunt in close range to suddenly stop that and hunt away........spaniels that have been solely bred for gun work for years are expected to Hunt close in a circle like pattern to push quarry back to the shooter then stop/stay/lie down until quarry is shot then retrieve it .. That is wat there natural instincts are telling them to do that's what they've been bred to do. ... Same as if you bought a hound and expected it hunt up close after it's been bred for years to hunt away .....

No such thing as a silly question mate. Does the dog work off hand signals ? If the dog works of hand signals then when the dog comes back out after 20 yards stop him with whistle .command him to go back then give the hand/verbal/whistle signal for him to enter again. He's only 12 month old so in time he will probably hunt out a little further however if you want the spaniel to hunt away freely ranging far out then run it with another dog which hunts far out and eventually he will start to hunt away with the other dog but he'll prolly hunt further away when your on a shoot/shooting

And as for the dog coming out and running up the hedge and re entering could be a couple of things ... has he been worked with a lurcher ? Lad I no worked his busher from pup with lurcher and it soon learned the action was on the out side so would run up and down the hedge with the lurcher .. Also it could be its nocked something up and is coming out to run up the hedge to catch up with it and re entering out of excitement ...

I'm curious to what u mean ? I had this dog out today and hunts 20 yards of cover fine then pops out runs down the outside and pops in again .it's funny cause there is scent there and can't understand why he wouldn't keep going inside??

. What I was trying to say was if you've trained t he spaniel as a gun dog already then chances are he's only hunting up so far because he's been thought to flush close , my mate had his cocker and springer out with me today and the cocker who is younger followed the springer more than working its own scent, not sure if its a good thing or not? I think spaniels do keep popping out of over more than say terriers would but I would like to hear of someone who has had more experience with spaniels working cover for foxs or bunny s
  • Like 1