Acv & White Distilled Vinegar .

Ive used ACV in the past and thought it was neither here or there with dogs .

I've got a bottle of white distilled vinegar and thought I woukd try some on the dogs feed.

One dog does get a bit yeasty and reading up they reckon the vinger changes the dogs Ph levels and would reduce fungal bacteria.

Any thoughts ??

http://pets.thenest.com/vinegar-dog-tear-stains-5273.html

Found that on line about tear stains but she theory.

Any other recommendations gratefully received..

Dog gets brown dandruff and dirty lungs. It's on and off, but more on.

Cheers .

• 2 weeks later...

The lurcher I have here is a smooth coated type, black. During the summer months he spends a hell of alot of time monging on the sofa. Obviously he gets less exercise than when we are in the hunting season. His coat in summer isn't great, he has dandruff and his coat is a bit flat. His food is predominantly raw and of a high quality. However, as soon as August comes along I start to up his exercise, he gets cycled 3 or 4 miles every day as well as a couple of miles walk in the morning and evening. After two weeks of this his coat is like a mirror, he glows.

I never change his diet, nor where he sleeps or anything, just his activity levels. It has got to be linked......

Nothing changed except getting out more......I've noticed this quite a bit; when a dog is laid up through injury or during h close season they can look a bit dull...

• Like 1

I think my bitch gets some type of yeast or fungal infections..

Dirty coat, dirty lugs..

She is a bit nervous and is timid around the other dogs. . During play the others seem to pick on her and she can't stand up for herself.. With this fear she hangs about our feet and is scared to run as the others start piling on her..

My mrs thinks it could be a thyroid but I am not with her on that..

She's a sulun type but that's changeable and she's has periods when mood is significantly brighter.

When it's 1-1 or in the company of small playful types of hand bag dogs..

I'm going to feed completely raw and and any kibble gluten grain free.

She's on the vinegar and 80% meat and coats better.

Think that might help the coat..

psychologically think she's done for..

If coat remains poor I might request blood tests from vet..

She's in good nick - some hair loss on rear legs and minimal dirt in ears at present.

post-3937-0-66716800-1441617149_thumb.jpg

Your Mrs could be right, sight hound types are noted to have a lower thyroid function than other dogs though in truth my guess would be that it’s likely just the nerves sparking a mild autoimmune reaction/eczema.

Ps vinegar won't affect the ph of the body unless you give pints or put it in the veins, which would kill it.

Edited by sandymere

I may be wrong but have been lead to believe it aids the digestive system.

Making gut more acidic? ?

Is it not confirmed when testing ph in the urine ??

I don't think it the thyroid she's physically wellish (bar intermittent skin issues) and not flat..

She's just wary and compared the the others in the pack she's not the life and sole or the party..

Her ears are good at present. .

The tips can become thicker & almost crusty.

I might see how diet goes before investing in allergy tests & blood tests.

Any other advice sandy? ?

Oils help the coat/skin, but ears and face are commonly environmental allergies such as dust mites that presents as eczema and this can be exacerbated by stress, hence stress dogs getting more symptoms than others. How old is she?

Vinegar and PH, the ph of the gastric tract is very variable and very well controlled by the dogs system. The tiny volume of vinegar is not going to have any effect, the gastric Ph could be lower than vinegar in a fed dog so it would make it more alkaline or higher in a fasted dog so making it more acid but in either case you would need to give a lot to get any real difference then the body would just produce more acid or alkaline to change it back to the norm if the amount needed to show a real difference didn’t kill it.

Bitch is over 3 and had her first signs of skin trouble,during her first and only menstruation.

It flares up intermittently however appears fine at present. Current diet tripe,lamb bones & cuts , odd bit of fish and oils.

I did also give her dorwest detox tables..

I've done similar before and it's difficult to assertain what actually clear it up..

I doubt it's thyroid or it would be consistent.

It's difficult as her physical and psychological could be liked or just coinstance. .

Hair loss on back of legs in also a new symptom.

Skins clear & healthy,just bald..

It's very much like the bald thigh syndrome.

It's maybe not related to the intermittent dank dirty dundruff.. That's like a excess oils - build up..

I should of taken a picture when it peaked..

Its under control now Barr the baldness on rear legs & the mood..

The mood coinsided with first heat and being bullied..

She's that unhappy if another dig attempts to sniff her rear she will abruptly sit down. .

She's super submissive and greets all dogs with practical belly crawl..

Edited by Giro

Hormones and stress! Not sure you’re gonna have an easy answer. The bald thigh syndrome is something I learnt to live with when I ran a few greyhounds but found that skin/coats could be helped a little with massages/rubs. I used to use an arnica rub a couple of times a week, the arnica strips out some of the excess oils, olds hair and reduces inflammation etc to get the coat and skin in better nick and the individual attention gives the dog a confidence boost easing stress. I still used additional oils in the diet to help the skin as it’s about having the oil in the right place then stripping excess out when it gets onto the coat. I imagine you can still get arnica rubs or a modern equivalent so might be worth a try..

Edited by sandymere

Cheers will give that a blast..

Her coats drying out again..

White flaky dandruff. .

Ears are clean and clear..

Dandruff is around her rear end and base of the tail..

She's shedding her under coat..