Renal Kidney Insufficiency..stage 2.

Guest vin

Hello all.

A friend of mine has an old terrier that's not looking to healthy these days..He's had a few trips to the vets and a few massive bills...Fortunately with insurance etc etc.

The vets have diagnosed Renal Kidney Insufficiency stage 2 and the prognosis is not good long term etc etc.

The vets recommended the usual health plan shite complete dog food and I told him he should go onto some sort of BARF mix for the little fella.

Vets said he needs a diet that is Very low fat and very low protein.

I suggested Chicken carcass and fish.. But he thinks chicken carcass might be too fatty.

At the moment he's got it on that Natures menu steamed fish diet.. I'm certain he could do better himself...money is no object to this fella,just the welfare of his dog.

Anyone got any experience with this dilemma. ?

I think chicken carcases have a far bit of fat in them..

I've cooked minced carcasses and they've been swimming with fat.

Maybe shit mince lol ..

Brest or thigh meat would maybe be better ??

Won't be much fat in fish..

• Like 1

Nutriment make a raw mince specifically for dogs with kidney diseases. It's the low purine and phosphorous one, can be got in some pet shops or online. Natural Instinct also doa "special diet" mince which is very similar.

I'd increase the carbohydrate portion of the diet to replace the protein and fat, ie pasta and that sort of thing, give some good quality low fat protein in the form of lean meat, fish a few times a week to counteract the pretty inevitable anaemia .Avoid chicken carcases as they will have to much fat and calcium, basically thy are the bones once the meat is removed so are basically minced bone. Bones, the hard part has to much calcium for dogs with kidney disease and the marrow is pretty much just fat. I'd add some vegetable or cod liver oils on the feed to boost the calories.

Edited by sandymere

I'd increase the carbohydrate portion of the diet to replace the protein and fat, ie pasta and that sort of thing, give some good quality low fat protein in the form of lean meat, fish a few times a week to counteract the pretty inevitable anaemia .Avoid chicken carcases as they will have to much fat and calcium, basically thy are the bones once the meat is removed so are basically minced bone. Bones, the hard part has to much calcium for dogs with kidney disease and the marrow is pretty much just fat. I'd add some vegetable or cod liver oils on the feed to boost the calories.

Surely the form of carbs I mentioned before rice, quinoa etc are much better than pasta, which is processed :hmm: