Should I Let My Pup See Rabbits?

Hi all,

On my regular walks with my 6 month old pup there appears to be an abundance of rabbits. Many of which see my pup before he sees them and make it to ground without being noticed. There are however a good few that he does manage to see (from a distance that even the best rabbiting dogs would not catch from) and he will chase them but he is still very puppy like in the respect that he seems to be 'chasing them away' rather than attempting to catch them.

Following some useful advice I won't be starting him until he is 12-14 months old but I was wandering if I should avoid showing him rabbits until then just in case he gets a mentality that he cannot catch the rabbits.

Should I avoid showing him rabbits at the risk of ruining him or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Hi all,

On my regular walks with my 6 month old pup there appears to be an abundance of rabbits. Many of which see my pup before he sees them and make it to ground without being noticed. There are however a good few that he does manage to see (from a distance that even the best rabbiting dogs would not catch from) and he will chase them but he is still very puppy like in the respect that he seems to be 'chasing them away' rather than attempting to catch them.

Following some useful advice I won't be starting him until he is 12-14 months old but I was wandering if I should avoid showing him rabbits until then just in case he gets a mentality that he cannot catch the rabbits.

Should I avoid showing him rabbits at the risk of ruining him or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks

i showed mine a hare the day 7mths lol,he loved it.

• Like 1

Funnily enough it was the hare that he has had the best run on! Coursed it for ages and was hot on its tail until they both disappeared over into the next field. Found him at in the next field as the hare managed to get away.

Just don't want to get him into the habit of not catching because he isn't ready and have low confidence as a result!

• Like 1

I would let it see them but when the time is right and everything is in the pups favour wind, darkness, distance, hazards etc

When all above is in pups favour give it a run. My pup had his 1st at 7 months and has improved on everyone after.If he missed it for whatever reason, he will rectify it the next time. Knows where its likely to bolt to or go to ground and cut it off.

Mine is 12 months and took them on different types of ground from the shortest grass to longer grass, ploughed fields etc.

No better training than the real thing. Get the pup eager as you can over the next month or so and choose slips wisely. You can then judge where pup is at.

People on here prefer different ages. Do what you think is right or wrong for your pup. At the end of the day, you will know your dogs capabilities more than anyone else.

good luck

I would let it see them but when the time is right and everything is in the pups favour wind, darkness, distance, hazards etc

When all above is in pups favour give it a run. My pup had his 1st at 7 months and has improved on everyone after.If he missed it for whatever reason, he will rectify it the next time. Knows where its likely to bolt to or go to ground and cut it off.

Mine is 12 months and took them on different types of ground from the shortest grass to longer grass, ploughed fields etc.

No better training than the real thing. Get the pup eager as you can over the next month or so and choose slips wisely. You can then judge where pup is at.

People on here prefer different ages. Do what you think is right or wrong for your pup. At the end of the day, you will know your dogs capabilities more than anyone else.

good luck

Hi all,

Thanks

if theres that many about get out in the grass with a catty or a stick over your shoulder and find a few in the seats and tickle a few in the ribs for him .nows the time to start getting a few easy ones for him :thumbs: