If You Could Go It Alone

Is there not alot of competiton with the gardening business? Only seems to one of the most common things i hear when people mention going self employed. Know my area seems to have quite a few of em. I like the idea of running something that can be handled online. Only because it then means can live somewhere abit rural where the houses are cheaper.

Yes your right you see the estate car brigade start up every spring but they are rarely there the end of winter:)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all. Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....b

I started up myself just over a year ago I passed my driving and my boss at the time was due me a few pounds and a window rounds 70 customers in a total mess we just went when we had a day of fencing

You and me both matey! I'm determined to invent something and become a millionaire..... only one problem...   One day, probably in my 80s, I'll figure out what I want to do with my life! LOL

don't get sidetracked ;)

I have a business idea. Plan already finished with several large global companies signed up to use my services included. I have 2 investors..... I only started where I work now to pass a years no competition clause in my previous contract before setting up..

Problem is this company has just given me 1 a promotion, 2 a payrise and 3 a huge commission structure.

Do not get sidetracked!!!

• Like 1

You reckon that long max? I think alot sooner than thay tbh. Hard to ignore the amount of money being made in america which they could tax. Our politicans love a pound note lol. I think itll reach a peak when new and the cool thing to do for people. The tax will go up every year though n the black market will come back in. Still will be people who use the legal weed shops but think the novelty would wear off after two years or so.

Bloke who walks his dog near me always with different decent looking women. Taking the piss i asked him if his a pimp lol. Runs 5 salons and some sort of wholesale business. Only opened his first salon to give his sister rather than her just working for minimum wage.

Maybe off topic but I think heroin dealers are not not far off as being as bad as peado's\rapists & murderers

lol kind of off topic i wasnt saying to the everyone lets go and become drug dealers. When weed goes legal if the states is anything to go buy it will be a good business thats all. Im not anti drugs ive tried stuff but tbh i have no time for junkies. Seen people change and become arseholes and people go from having it all to nothing. Ill stick to a few beers every now n then after work thanks.

I suppose the obvious is do what you know ;)......so maybe train for a role in your industry that puts you where you want to be.

Then you can do it self employed and get all the benefits (and bills !!) that go with that.

The hardest thing for blokes who have been used to getting a wage every week is the "feast or famine" nature of working for yourself......when it's good it's brilliant, but when you are waiting on 50 or 60 grand to turn up from a firm that may or may not pay you and the bills are piling up......that's when you will know if it's for you or not ;)

It never bothered me cause I didn't know any different having worked for myself since 14 years old (bar 18 months as a kid when I had a proper job......f***ing hated it and that was in oil/gas funny enough !).........I never ever had a regular wage.

Your right there mate, a lot of people dream of working for themselves until they realise it's a f***ing nightmare at times..

My dad hammered the " famine and feast" line into me from a kid..

Right from me and a mate lugging a ladder and buckets around the estate on our window cleaning round ( £3 a house lol) before we could drive, to now I've been self employed.. I had a short stint in the fishing shop at 17 and loved it but realised it would never make me much money..

At times I've questioned what the f**k am I doing to me and my family, but I couldn't work for someone else.. It is a mind set..

But if your a young man and got a bit of drive about you go for it mate, you'll never know unless you take the plunge...

You might have just missed the boat now, but a decent little coffee shop is a gold mine...nice cash business if you get it right.

The Coffee Shop thing has gone now Kev, unless your in a unique village location.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

You reckon that long max? I think alot sooner than thay tbh. Hard to ignore the amount of money being made in america which they could tax. Our politicans love a pound note lol. I think itll reach a peak when new and the cool thing to do for people. The tax will go up every year though n the black market will come back in. Still will be people who use the legal weed shops but think the novelty would wear off after two years or so.

Bloke who walks his dog near me always with different decent looking women. Taking the piss i asked him if his a pimp lol. Runs 5 salons and some sort of wholesale business. Only opened his first salon to give his sister rather than her just working for minimum wage.

Loads of money in beauty salons, especially in the South Wales valleys...

How many parents would take a can of petrol down to the nearest one if they found them selling it to their kids would be my question ? Lol

Same number of parents that would take a can of petrol down to the nearest off-licence or corner shop their kids were buying cans of lager or ciggies from i guess?Its a legitimate,taxable business,the dispensaries in california,or the members clubs in barcelona,or coffee-shops in holland have strict age criteria,the UK when it follows the states lead will be equally as strictly regulated,the government already licence the growing of 20 tons in this country,when america coughs the UK catches a cold,we will follow suit.

I would be fairly f***ing upset if I found out some local scum bag was selling the poison to be lad.

Loads of money in beauty salons, especially in the South Wales valleys...

thought they were called groomers?

• Like 2

I suppose the obvious is do what you know ;)......so maybe train for a role in your industry that puts you where you want to be.

Then you can do it self employed and get all the benefits (and bills !!) that go with that.

The hardest thing for blokes who have been used to getting a wage every week is the "feast or famine" nature of working for yourself......when it's good it's brilliant, but when you are waiting on 50 or 60 grand to turn up from a firm that may or may not pay you and the bills are piling up......that's when you will know if it's for you or not ;)

It never bothered me cause I didn't know any different having worked for myself since 14 years old (bar 18 months as a kid when I had a proper job......f***ing hated it and that was in oil/gas funny enough !).........I never ever had a regular wage.

Your right there mate, a lot of people dream of working for themselves until they realise it's a f***ing nightmare at times..

Right from me and a mate lugging a ladder and buckets around the estate on our window cleaning round ( £3 a house lol) before we could drive, to now I've been self employed.. I had a short stint in the fishing shop at 17 and loved it but realised it would never make me much money..

At times I've questioned what the f**k am I doing to me and my family, but I couldn't work for someone else.. It is a mind set..

But if your a young man and got a bit of drive about you go for it mate, you'll never know unless you take the plunge...

You might have just missed the boat now, but a decent little coffee shop is a gold mine...nice cash business if you get it right.

The Coffee Shop thing has gone now Kev, unless your in a unique village location.

Cheers, D.

I tend to agree D, although there are still places where it'll work well..

We talked about it a lot a few years back, but went with the salon for the missus as it's what she knows... No worries as that's fine, there is a place near me where one would work perfectly, smart affulent little town, and not a proper coffee shop there..

But I've enough on my plate now lol

• Like 1

Cheers, D.

I tend to agree D, although there are still places where it'll work well..

We talked about it a lot a few years back, but went with the salon for the missus as it's what she knows... No worries as that's fine, there is a place near me where one would work perfectly, smart affulent little town, and not a proper coffee shop there..

But I've enough on my plate now lol

Where is it?

Topsham, In Devon mate, near the river... Lots of eateries, and a cafe.. But not a proper Coffee shop.. Or there wasn't when I last looked..

If you got the dough and the inclination I reckon you'd still do alright there with a smart little coffee shop.

Would of loved too of been able too do Gill netting and lobster fishing for a living even was about too buy a lobster boat pots and a fish and shell licence at one point in my life was going too take on a retiring lads boat and pots and I was so close too sighning every thing and I was just short of a grand and another lad took it on for 2 years he plodded away at it it turns out the boat was simply not fast enuf too do enuf pots last I heard the boat is no longer floating and the licence is worth more then the boat and he sold it