Firearm Variation

Hi all I have a .22 rimfire a 223 CF and a 243 CF and find that because I have the 243 i never pick up the 223 any more and am going to let it go, and mabye get a 17HMR for the long range rabbit and odd Fox, The question is do i need to part with the 223 before I apply for a variation or can I apply for it before I sell it, The reason I ask is on form 202 APPLICATION TO VARY A FIREARM CERTIFICATE it just asks you If you wish to report the disposal of any firearms currently shown on your firearm certificate and I take that to mean you have already disposed of it (past tense ) not which one you would like to dispose of Hope this all makes sense thanks everyone atb Volpe

You can do a 1 for 1 variation which means you give up one of your existing slots for a new slot or you can pay £20 to have a new calibre slot applied. I've always done 1 for 1 through a rfd as ill part x a rifle leave it with them while the new variation comes and then collect the new rifle.

You can do a 1 for 1 variation which means you give up one of your existing slots for a new slot or you can pay £20 to have a new calibre slot applied. I've always done 1 for 1 through a rfd as ill part x a rifle leave it with them while the new variation comes and then collect the new rifle.

If you get rid of the .223 before you apply for the variation then it won't be a "one for one" and you'll have to pay the £20.

If you apply for the variation, have it granted, sell the .223 then buy the new rifle, amount of firearms on the FAC stays the same and it's free.

Its an interesting one, with the recent hike in price of the FAC/SGC the variation fee actually came down! :hmm::thumbs:

If you get rid of the .223 before you apply for the variation then it won't be a "one for one" and you'll have to pay the £20.

If you apply for the variation, have it granted, sell the .223 then buy the new rifle, amount of firearms on the FAC stays the same and it's free.

Unless the rules have changed recently, then your sequence above would incur a variation charge as you are increasing the slots or rifles you have listed on your ticket, all be it temporarily. There is a possible way around this as below.

The normal sequence for a 1 for 1 variation I believe is to sell the .223 and within the time period allowed (7days iirc) return your ticket along with form 202 listing the rifles you have and the rifle to acquire ie an hmr,

However If you are distance buying a hmr and part exchanging your .223 at a shop, it is possible to ask for a temporary condition that allows you to hold the .223 ( but not use) and have a 1 for 1 variation for the new rifle.

With that condition in hand, when you turn up at the shop, its all done and dusted in one trip.

I did this when I part exchanged my hmr for a .17fireball, as I did not fancy two 250mile trips.

Edited by stillair1

Unless the rules have changed recently, then your sequence above would incur a variation charge as you are increasing the slots or rifles you have listed on your ticket, all be it temporarily. There is a possible way around this as below.

The normal sequence for a 1 for 1 variation I believe is to sell the .223 and within the time period allowed (7days iirc) return your ticket along with form 202 listing the rifles you have and the rifle to acquire ie an hmr,

However If you are distance buying a hmr and part exchanging your .223 at a shop, it is possible to ask for a temporary condition that allows you to hold the .223 ( but not use) and have a 1 for 1 variation for the new rifle.

With that condition in hand, when you turn up at the shop, its all done and dusted in one trip.

I did this when I part exchanged my hmr for a .17fireball, as I did not fancy two 250mile trips.

I've known quite a few ways that firearms teams like you to go about it, my last one was done as I say above but can see how yours would work too.

It's one of those areas that's very grey, as normal for firearms law. If they could make it complicated, then they did back in 1968...

I've known quite a few ways that firearms teams like you to go about it, my last one was done as I say above but can see how yours would work too.

It's one of those areas that's very grey, as normal for firearms law. If they could make it complicated, then they did back in 1968...

Yep best check with your local flo. Here in Essex normal variations can take months, a visit and a fee, whilst 1 for 1 can be a lot quicker if there's no need for a visit or fee. Just did not want the op to get scooped and delayed. ;)