Who's Flying What

bullet

as the the title says, who's flying what this season? new bird or older bird, any new comers to the falconry? tell us

im going to pull my female gos out when the kids go back school, do a few months with her and pull my male out around backend of November to have him going in December

atb folks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be flying the same Harris hawk as the previous seasons. I'd like to be able to get in another one but as much as I try I can't justify the need for more than one bird due to time, quarry numbers

you might be lucky ,I just got A spar last friday,look on facebook & birdtrader.

I will be flying my 7 year old male PR German gos, will pull him next month or so. I may also get my 6 year old female imprint gos out later in the season. She has a knackered foot from 2 seasons ag

I'll be flying the same Harris hawk as the previous seasons. I'd like to be able to get in another one but as much as I try I can't justify the need for more than one bird due to time, quarry numbers etc. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

The three of us have got our work cut out this year two male goshawks one this years one 3 years . A female Gos four year old . A spar this years and two imprint female pere's this years . My mate will fly his Gos I'll be flying spar pere and the other lad two gos and pere . God help him . Plus I'm training my new drahthaar aswell .

some mix going on there, I couldn't fly more than one at any given time, I wouldn't be able to give 100% to each, hence my reason for atleast 3 months with each,

my target goal is a hare with my female, maybe i'll put her away asoon as she does that, but im not going after them till she's had a few bunnies again first

I will be flying my 7 year old male PR German gos, will pull him next month or so.

I may also get my 6 year old female imprint gos out later in the season. She has a knackered foot from 2 seasons ago and so far has struggled to hold quarry, which is a shame as she was a hell of a hawk in her day.

• Like 1

I will be flying my 7 year old male PR German gos, will pull him next month or so.

I may also get my 6 year old female imprint gos out later in the season. She has a knackered foot from 2 seasons ago and so far has struggled to hold quarry, which is a shame as she was a hell of a hawk in her day.

having never flown a PR, how do you find them compared to an imprint? been touring on the idea of having a PR next, be intresting to hear your views

Hi bullet,

I personally prefer PR hawks.

They have their drawbacks, but to me they are easier to understand and get on with...no screaming/manteling, etc etc.

The thing with PR is you need to do a lot of manning at the beginning, though there are PR and then there are PR hawks.

What I mean is some breeders state they are selling PR birds, but they have been incubated and hand-fed for a week or two which means they are imprinted to a degree.

I prefer naturally bred and reared, then there are no surprising behaviours.

Hunting in company can be a problem with some hawks not tolerating strange dogs and crowds, whereas most imprints can be ok with them.

It all boils down to the skill of the austringer and the type of hunting you do.

For hunting pheasant at field meets I don't think you can beat a decent imprint.

For popping out on your own for a bit of mixed hawking, I would choose PR.

I have just got myself a six year old female harris with an attitude, just come out of the moult and have started flying her.............. had no end of suprises with her, including losing half of my nose! :laugh::icon_redface:

hope to get my male harris back up and running by December all being well....................