Keepers In Scotland

As I am aware with May be a long shot however I am looking to get on toe with a few gamekeepers in Scotland no particular area. Hoping they are needing some assistance in vermain control. I know most keepers will keep there ground scares of any pest, If anyone knows of any keepers needing terrier/lurcher men please contact me

Thanks atb

Wish u luck with this but I use to get permission from farms who would lease fields or lands from estates as it then becomes there resonasbilty to keep the ground they lease clear of vermin but farmers don't have time and love someone to do it for free so mite be best to try farm option that lease from large estates

Edited by Hunting loon

Wish u luck with this but I use to get permission from farms who would lease fields or lands from estates as it then becomes there resonasbilty to keep the ground they lease clear of vermin but farmers don't have time and love someone to do it for free so mite be best to try farm option that lease from large estates

got multiple farms all over the country however I am just looking for something a bit different. And I know getting in with a keeper is the best way to go. But I am also aware we are looked down on by estates, but just hoping by the off chance that a keeper is needing some help digging and lamping..

Well must be lazy estates up here make farmers take on roll of vermin control ! But to be honest estates don't let guys come on and do vermin control on there land not when they charge some punter to do rough shooting etc lol wish you luck honest but you will be as welcome as a fart in a space suit

Pity we can't get some keepers views on what us mere mortals would need to do get on there acres of land ! then starter of thread would know how to get permission on such ground as he feels keepers ground would be better for his purpose than his other farms my advise would be to try and persuade your mum to marry a head keeper or laird problem solved

got multiple farms all over the country however I am just looking for something a bit different. And I know getting in with a keeper is the best way to go. But I am also aware we are looked down on by estates, but just hoping by the off chance that a keeper is needing some help digging and lamping..
hi just wondering how your get on we get keepers on side if any guy managed to pass any info your way ? I my self have been out of the game for last 4 years but as you have farms up and down the country wondered how u managed to get all this permission these days as we use To knock doors etc but obviously you couldn't of went up and down country knocking on doors in the hope of getting ground so what is best way now a days mate if u don't mind me asking you as I to will be looking for couple of fields to break pup in soon

you answered it yaself pal, put in the effort and go door knocking, you don't get if you don't ask and if you not willing to travel.up and down country then just be happy with what you got

aye that would be a good topic that pal be right how far do we all travel to knock on doors and work dogs

I found getting ground reasonably easy. Firstly look for areas that have lots of vermin, basically look for areas with plenty of rabbits and pigeons. If there are a lot then they are not controlled. Offer your services free, and if you are clean, neat, polite and the kind of person they would want on their ground then it is easy enough. I rent a lot of ground but this can be a token payment £25 each for 4 of us and for all species, but deer are not common on the ground, roe and red, but the rabbits are world class. I am in a few syndicates but also have a lot of free ground. To be honest i am a shooter, not a dog man, and realise that this will be more difficult.

I also doubt keepers will be a lot of help, they are busy, and offering to do their job for free may annoy them. None of my ground is keepered. I think lots of ground is not keepered and is now run on a far tighter budget. Free or very low cost shooting is initially very difficult to get, but once you are known as a decent person to have wondering on the ground at all times of day and night then I found it easy enough. Farmers and land owners speak to each other and if you do a good job then more land will appear, i have given up a lot due to lack of time, equally it they think you are dodgy or a bit of a poacher then why would they let you on, when there are so many other people about.

Some do from time to time, and then spoil it for themselves, these pages are full of examples. Where are you in Aberdeenshire, i may be able to send you to a couple of farms i not longer shoot. Not huge but 3-500 acres and though not stuffed with rabbits all have them. I was out tonight helping with a syndicates pheasants and found they had a fox problem, and that the rabbits are damaging the pheasant cages. They also have barns with feral pigeon problems.

My son and i will enjoy clearing the barns with the air rifle, but have emailed a few friends to help with the foxes as i dont have the time these days, for the next few weeks i am chasing reds.