Hornady Super Performance?

Bullets do not fly straight, not only is there a trajectory curve they will also move slightly from side to side, which is determined by the barrel. I have had rifles where they are bang on at 100yds but an inch to the left or right at 50yds. It is a common phenomena, which is why it pays to practise a little with your rifles to find out what they will do at any given distance in differing conditions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm afraid that is utter tosh. In 50 years I've never had or known anyone who has.   The most common cause is cant, caused by incorrect scope allignment, too higher mounts or tilting (canting) the

Is there a chance that the rifle was canted slightly to the left. This would produce the results you experienced.

it aint rocket science .adjust the scope or its human error!!!

Bullets do not fly straight, not only is there a trajectory curve they will also move slightly from side to side, which is determined by the barrel. I have had rifles where they are bang on at 100yds but an inch to the left or right at 50yds. It is a common phenomena, which is why it pays to practise a little with your rifles to find out what they will do at any given distance in differing conditions.

No they don't, or should I say should not.

A correctly set up rifle should not produce a lateral bullet placement as distance increases.

• Like 1

No they don't, or should I say should not.

A correctly set up rifle should not produce a lateral bullet placement as distance increases.

Plenty of rifles do if you care to check properly, all you can expect from mass produced barrels.

I never new that, learning all the time lol what causes the bullet to swerve or move left or right the barrel? Can this be cured by having a better quality barrel?

I'm afraid that is utter tosh.

In 50 years I've never had or known anyone who has.

The most common cause is cant, caused by incorrect scope allignment, too higher mounts or tilting (canting) the rifle slightly when firing. 1 degree of cant will move the lateral poi by 1"

• Like 2

I never new that, learning all the time lol what causes the bullet to swerve or move left or right the barrel? Can this be cured by having a better quality barrel?

I'm afraid that is utter tosh.

In 50 years I've never had or known anyone who has.

The most common cause is cant, caused by incorrect scope allignment, too higher mounts or tilting (canting) the rifle slightly when firing. 1 degree of cant will move the lateral poi by 1"

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree as i have seen it twice on two different rifles in twelve months. Scopes fitted perfectly, but cant won't affect a scope at 50 or 100 yds only when your shooting further out.

Tested 3 ammo types today. Prvi 90g soft point gave 1/2 inch at 120 yards hornady 75g superformance gave 3 holes touching and federal vital shok 70g gave a 1.5 inch group. Will keep to hornady for fox and prvi for deer reason being I'd rather use ballistic tip for fox. The 12 federal I still got ill keep as a test zero round in case I knock the scope lol.

Unless shooting at extreme range or in windy conditions, you shouldn't experience lateral drift. Lateral drift has 2 non user causes - wind and at extreme range, spin drift (the earth rotates whilst the bullet is in flight so the bullet strikes slightly off target as the target has moved with the earth whilst the bullet was in flight (!) The latter isn't going to be an issue at short to medium range. It's a long range, long flight time (1,000yd type problem)).

I personally fail to see how a barrel can throw a bullet sideways in flight. Not matter how poorly the barrel is made, the bullet will come straight out of the end of the barrel because it can't do anything else because the bullet is tight to the bore. If it was loose it would tumble not spin. If the end of the barrel was loose fitting, it would still fly straight as it would fly down the path set by the barrel contact further in and just fly down the space in the centre of the barrel further out (as it does through a moderator). If contact was made on the way out, the bullet would deform and would tumble as it would be both destabilised and lose velocity from the contact. If the barrel was tight but not perfectly aligned, it might shoot to one side, but once the scope was corrected and zeroed, it would shoot perfectly on target as it would shoot consistently to one side which would be corrected out by the scope. So maybe your experience Ian was caused by something else. I certainly have never heard of un-straight barrels causing uncorrectable lateral drifting.

Unless shooting at extreme range or in windy conditions, you shouldn't experience lateral drift. Lateral drift has 2 non user causes - wind and at extreme range, spin drift (the earth rotates whilst the bullet is in flight so the bullet strikes slightly off target as the target has moved with the earth whilst the bullet was in flight (!) The latter isn't going to be an issue at short to medium range. It's a long range, long flight time (1,000yd type problem)).

I personally fail to see how a barrel can throw a bullet sideways in flight. Not matter how poorly the barrel is made, the bullet will come straight out of the end of the barrel because it can't do anything else because the bullet is tight to the bore. If it was loose it would tumble not spin. If the end of the barrel was loose fitting, it would still fly straight as it would fly down the path set by the barrel contact further in and just fly down the space in the centre of the barrel further out (as it does through a moderator). If contact was made on the way out, the bullet would deform and would tumble as it would be both destabilised and lose velocity from the contact. If the barrel was tight but not perfectly aligned, it might shoot to one side, but once the scope was corrected and zeroed, it would shoot perfectly on target as it would shoot consistently to one side which would be corrected out by the scope. So maybe your experience Ian was caused by something else. I certainly have never heard of un-straight barrels causing uncorrectable lateral drifting.

Much as i hate to disagree with you mate, spin drift is the tiny amount a bullet drifts due the twist imparted on it by the rifling, much like torque steer in a front wheel drive car.

You are referring to the coriolis effect, whereby the bullet goes straight but the earth moves underneath it. Obviously this would depend on where you are in the world and whether you are shooting at right angles or parallel with the earth's rotation.

Either way, none of these would have any effect at the ranges we would be shooting quarry.

P.S.sorry for being a pedant. :D