22 Hornet Bullet Seating Depth

I have started to reload for my 22 hornet, and have gone to the 40 grn vmax bullet, whats bothering me is the bullet seating depth,I could not get a modified case, so had to order one, any way thought I would do it the old way and candle the bullet in to the lands,soon realizing that that wouldn't work as the vmax bullets have the polymer tip, which made the round far too big for the clip, so decided to load to max allowed clip length, I did try a three shot group last night,

0F33C599-815A-4B25-B968-3682E8A3A152_zps

And was pleased with it, then it started to dawn on me the bullets would be a fair way off the lands, and as such would slam them quite hard, I just wanted to ask if other people have had to do the same,it must be ok as I was using shop bought 35 grn vmax which only just fit the clip, so they would be doing the same,I know I am over thinking it, as with all my other rifles I could set the bullet depth to the lands, without any clip issues, I would appreciate any bodies thoughts on the subject, the rifle is a CZ American

The .22 Hornet seems to perform pretty well with quite a long jump to the lands. factory ammo is relativlly short so 40 gr bullets will be a little closer.

I found that the difference in jump made little difference to the accuracy, maybe if you are target loading for absolute precision it might.

Load so they fit in the magazine and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Cheers cc I have the foxes around at the moment, I have just never set a bullet so far back,so was interested to see what the thoughts were, my mate has to do it with one of his rifles, with the v max bullets, and as it seems, its common practice with some rounds so I am less concerned than I was cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Darren I'm using 35gr vmax in mine but when there all used up I may try the 40gr heads, that's a nice tight group there, my friend uses 40gr heads and lil gun and loves them. Might be worth your while getting a shot sled so your not limited to the magazine and reduced COL , takes no longer really loading them single with this. Theres a guy in the UK that sells them I may be able to find his details if you fancy one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115268/original-bob-sled-loading-block-cz-527-22-hornet-221-fireball-222-remington-1-round-polymer-black

Darren I'm using 35gr vmax in mine but when there all used up I may try the 40gr heads, that's a nice tight group there, my friend uses 40gr heads and lil gun and loves them. Might be worth your while getting a shot sled so your not limited to the magazine and reduced COL , takes no longer really loading them single with this. Theres a guy in the UK that sells them I may be able to find his details if you fancy one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115268/original-bob-sled-loading-block-cz-527-22-hornet-221-fireball-222-remington-1-round-polymer-black

definatley worth thinking about mate mine seems to really like the 40 grn v max, I am going to try some 40 grn hollow points soon as well,it's deadly when snipeing rabbits, really like the gun, might be time to sell the 223, as fox wise it ticks all the right boxes as well,
  • 4 weeks later...

Make a day length gauge

Get a old case and dremel out a notch in the Base big enough so the it fits over the ejector with out touching it the slit the neck open

So [BANNED TEXT] u put case on bolt with a bullet seated slightly in the ejector will not push the case so the case will be straight.

If that don't make sense I'll post pic later

Edited by GEOFF.223