Salmon On The Hitch And The Dry

Im heading back from Papua New Guinea today so will be on the river for the next few weeks and will be giving the grouse a miss ....spoke to the lads yesterday and the water has a bit temprature now and the conditions are spot on for fishing the hitch and the dry they had 7 yesterday .....this has to be my favourite type of salmon fishing ....Atlantic salmon do not take as willingly than Pacific salmon and its not done much here in the UK ...but when conditions are right and theres fish in the pool the takes can be spectacular ....I was ghillieing for a lad a few years ago and introduced hitching to him ...he said it was the most exciting hours salmon fishing hes ever had with out hooking a fish

• Like 1

I got back yesterday and headed straight down to the river ...got there for high tide at 14:30 and there was fish showing everywhere but in the space of 30 mins the water came up with the rain on the hill from the night before and was unfishable ....Theres plenty of fish about and fresh stuff coming in everyday so if the rain stays off you will hit the river bang on ...I will get a craic with you wed and should get you into something :thumbs:

• Like 1

Im just back from the river im on Morphie tomorrow ...still a bit of colour in the water but its dropping of nicely ...like I say if the rain stays off you will hit it right and theres plenty of fish ...

Aye fished it from 5.00 am till 8.00 for one 3-4lb Grilse, and 3 sea trout, all under a pound.

It was the only fish caught, plenty of fish moving though. including some big feckers..

Caught on a small black Francis in the bottom of the first 'big' pool above the island.

11866211_10208124440691822_6103133218855

The water subsided a little in the afternoon, but the fishing never came to its best.

It was fair pushing through for the most of the day, made wading really tiring... bad back by 4.00pm..

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Black Francis is my fly of choice for Kinnaber ....That would of been Treeline pool always holds fish theres been a few out of there this season ...I saw a few lads in Allans the top pool when I was setting mink traps .....Ive seen a few fish moving this week but they will keep there heads down till they reach the Luther pool on Pert ...might catch up with you before the season ends

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...