Age Restriction

Hi all. Im 14 and looking to apply for a firearms certificate in the future but i have been on various websites and fourums that say you can apply for a firearms certificate at the age of 14 or above. I cannot see this being true but just whanted to check with people who may be familliar with this.

Thanks Charlie

You have to be 14 years old before you can be granted a firearms certificate and must prove to the police that you have a good reason for possessing the firearm you wish to use, ie. a rifle. You will also have to show that you have somewhere suitable to use it. However, there is no minimum age for a shotgun certificate, though you are not allowed to use a shotgun without an adult supervisor until you are 15 years old. You
do not have to show that you have somewhere to use the gun or that you are a member of a shooting club. The police can only refuse to grant a certificate if they think you do not have a good reason for possessing a gun.

The licensing process is the same for youngsters as it is for adults. However, it is always a good idea to show that you have a supportive mentor a friend or family member who will guide you in your early shooting days.

You can use a gun, just not unsupervised

So at 14 i can have a licence with a gun on it but i cannot shoot it unless supervised by someone over 21? And does the person over 21 have to have a licence?

im not completely sure about this so check it with you FEO but I THINK the person supervising just needs to be responsible adult over the age of 21, and does not need to have a licence of their own.