Marlin. 22Lr Semi-Auto

Each to their own but personally they just feel and look cheap and tacky. I'm not sure what Remington had in mind when they bought Marlin about 8 years back now!

I spent a lot of time looking at semis over the years, I have a requirement for one but my BA still gets far more use.

After a lot of debate, testing, research, I settled on about the cheapest semi you could buy.

The Magtech 7022, which is quite simply a Mossberg 702 rebadged, and available in the UK about £100 cheaper than the Mossberg. I seem to recall it actually cost me £125 (or was it £145) BRAND NEW about 5 years ago.

It is accurate and reliable, incredibly light, pointable and excellent VFM in my opinion.

The trigger is appalling but gets better over time.

The 7022 suits my purpose very well and works straight out of the box, but like I say, each to their own, many seem to buy a 10/22, say how great it is, yet throw most of it away and build another semi with third party parts...funny old world! :laugh::thumbs:

review

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/cbc_magtech_model_7022/

They have gone up a bit in price but still daft money.......

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/magtech-cbc-magtech-7022-22-rifles/rifles/737503

• Like 1

Thanks Deker, I've read that whilst the Mossberg is a copy it's not quite as accurate as the Marlin which is quite interesting. They are very cheap and could be good fun by the looks of things

Edited by Elliott

Thanks Deker, I've read that whilst the Mossberg is a copy it's not quite as accurate as the Marlin which is quite interesting. They are very cheap and could be good fun by the looks of things

Not quite following that, but I have been more than happy with the accuracy of my Magtech. and also its reliability.

To date the ONLY time it has jammed is when I was helping another shooter test some ammo which he was having a problem with in his semi!

This can't last I'm sure, and the time will come, and when I least want it no doubt. For some reason it likes Magtech 40g HP Subs. I had looked at, and followed these for some 2-3years before investing as I thought they must be rubbish as they were so cheap, but personal use of several, and also seeing them regularly used as a Club gun surprised me how good they were. The trigger lets them down, but for "MY" purpose the 7022 is fine!

ATB!

I'm with Deker on the 7022. I was the "other shooter" having trouble with Winchester ammo. Deker gave me some RWS to try and I never looked back ammo wise. This was my first rimfire and still use it to good effect, not wishing to "upgrade". The trigger was gritty, but I sorted this with grinding paste. I think there is a lot of snobbery regarding rifles, as there is in fly fishing rods. My £20, 7 ft Shakespeare Oddyssey seems to catch more trout than my mate's £500 Orvis.

My Review http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/magtech-7022-mossberg-7022-22-semi-automatic-rimfire/

hi i worked a marlin semi for years and loved it!!

very accurate and reliably so long as it was kept clean. as soon as it got gummed up it started to miss feed.

the only greavance i had with it was that it only took high velocity ammo and would not cycle subs............ but it was built for HV's........... and would work just about anything i put through it.

killed thousands of bunnies with it!

cheers Peeps

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Marlin 795, its the best £200 i think I have ever spent. i can get penny size groups at 50 yards with HV. Subs work through it, just some give better groups than others. I managed to get a second hand boyd stock at the right price, and it makes it even better. Just keep the action and mags clean

Edited by ta6319

I'm not a fan of the 10/22. The magazines do my head in with rounds not cycling properly. Plenty of people say they are easy to clean but they've obviously got more patience that I have!

They can be a bit fiddly but there are some good videos on YouTube on how to do it. Personally I enjoy tinkering so I don't mind it.