Shooting Permissions

smk

Hi I would like some advice on how I would go on about finding myself a small shooting permission, I have approached a couple of farmers but they seem a tough breed. I have recently acquired my BASC membership with the insurance as well. Am I heading in the right direction. Is there anything else I should be doing and how do I go about approaching the right people. :thumbs:

good start getting insurance . You should try doing a letter and posting in to the farmer giving as much information as you can about yourself and what you want to do .be polite in the letter and at the end .thank him for taking the time to read it and if he does not require your services may be he could pass the letter onto another landowner

All the best robo .

Dress smart and expect to knock on lots of doors , would you let somebody you don't know walk about your garden with a loaded weapon ? A lot of farmers are in the same frame of mind and will want to know what you can bring to the party

Speaking as a farmer as well as a shooter then go ahead, write letters and post them out by all means (other than your time and the not insignificant cost of stamps) it can't hurt but I can pretty much guarantee 90% of the recipient's will stash them straight in the square file in the corner of the room ;) . you have done the right thing getting insurance and the best piece of advice I could give you is to keep an eye out as you drive around for areas with obvious crop damage etc, if you go down the local pub you'll soon get a name to contact and if you then approach the farmer/manager/keeper/whatever whilst respectably attired offering to rectify the issue at no cost you stand a good chance as long as no one else has got there first :) Above all else keep trying, its only a matter of time until you get your first permission and (from what I'm told) its onwards and upwards from there ;)

• Like 3

I no this might not be what a lot of people do but.... Don't go straight in with the shooting thing, offer to help out on the farm, you'll enjoy it and gain trust at the same time. You will get to no all boundrys and all the areas that need "attention" and even if sombody else is shooting it (you usually find that farmers don't think enough is being done and some people are only interested in certain pests) that you as a "volunteer member of staff" have earned the right to have a wander about ;) and then word of mouth travels fast in the farming community's and if so and so says your a good lad then your a good lad.

Be prepared to earn it is what I'm saying mate, you don't get owt for nowt.

Atb mate

• Like 1

i think its about timing as much as how you look when you rock up. if you screetch to a halt in the carpark with your music banging you might as well just go to the pub as you wasting you time. if you go at meal time, then again your wasting your time. if hes lambing or harvesting hes going to be busy and might not want to talk or have the time.

turn up in your new nike trainers and joggers he will probably think your a tit.