Never really had much problem Plucking Ducks/Geese but the thick down underneath the feathers is a nightmare! In the past I have plucked a large amount back and burnt the rest off with a blow lamp but does anyone know a easier cleaner simpler method than this please? :hmm:....

Cheers

Jasper

Never really had much problem Plucking Ducks/Geese but the thick down underneath the feathers is a nightmare! In the past I have plucked a large amount back and burnt the rest off with a blow lamp but does anyone know a easier cleaner simpler method than this please? :hmm:....

Cheers

Jasper

Jasper, have you not tried skinning em.?

If you have a lot of parafin wax, melt, pour or dip and peel. Some say it works quite well for the down.

If you deal with a lot of ducks, geese, etc. check out this site. http://www.whizbangbooks.com/ I borrowed a copy of the book and have a friend with an auto tub plucker and scalder. It worked great. :thumbs: Five of us butchered 279 chickens in less than five hours, taking out time for tea :drink: . 279 chickens ready to go.

He pasture raises them and sells them periodically throughout the year. Very nice. ;)

Don't skin the ducks Jasp...that's where the flavour is!

Get some f*****g elbow grease into it man :tongue2:

I can't skin them mate as I like the crispy skin and fat that comes out of it :thumbs:, I'm also thinking that roasting a skinned Duck/Goose will dry the meat out when in the oven?

One method I heard about was pouring boiling water on the bird after plucking! aparantly this opens the pours in the skin and they just about fall out but the skin gets tainted. I like my skin though on any bird when its crisped up in the oven, it keeps the meat moist and full of flavour.

Mole Trappers idea sounds like the one to go for :thumbs:, I'll get the pink Marigolds on for the next plucking session :angel:.

Nice one Clancy giving the bird a full body wax has to work, is Parafin wax the same as candle wax :hmm:, my missus has plenty of large candles under the bed :tongue2:....

I used to go plucking for christmas when i was a kid. The ducks were hung up by their feet, and the feathers were pulled down, back away from the direction they grew in. We used to use a small knife (not too sharp), held with the tip close to the thumb for the stubborn feathers. The down makes a hell of a mess on the floor mind!

post-8371-1195303274_thumb.jpg

Sorry if i'm telling you how to suck eggs though!

Jasper NO NO NO, :doh: Put your marigolds away, i ment the thin disposable type, not the ones you keep for special occasions. :icon_redface:

:clapper::clapper::clapper: Gotcha mate I know which one's you mean! The Marigolds can go back in the Bredroom draw again with the KY Jelly ;) ....

After its been plucked.....stick the tip of a knife in randomly over the bird then pour over boiling water before drying with a cloth pouring over abit of oil and putting in the oven......makes the skin very crispy. It was on a cooking program. Id sooner sit there for 4 hours to pluck it then to skin it.......duck with out the skin.....its a waste :thumbs:

Witton

I have got 3 pheasants in the garage and I allways skin em. Its easier.

Spot on :thumbs:

Of course it is easier but it dosent taste half the same :no:

I will have try it with the skin on then,

but my missus always says its better with it off if you know what I mean :thumbs: