Aggressive Deer Behavior

Hi all, hope it is ok to share a video I recently watched. I'm curious about this buck's behavior. I know the males fight during the rutting season, but this young buck was pursuing the older male which was wounded and trying to get away. I thought the fight stops when one runs off. Anyone know if this is normal behavior?? Or have seen something similar to this? Thanks :)

http://huntervids.com/videos/mule-deer-takes-out-older-buck-fight-2015/

I was unable to see the video but by the way you describe it and what I read at the bottom of the link page, it's common.

Growing up on a large ranch in Texas coupled with my passion for the outdoors allowed me to see this play out in a lot of different species. Cattle will do it, especially bulls in the bull pasture. It's extremely common in wild turkey and I've seen it a lot in chickens. I've seen it a few times in wild pigs. Every time I have seen this has involved only the males of the species that took it to the extremes except in fish. I've seen several videos of elk doing this and white tail deer. Seen videos of cape buffalo doing this. I know certain types of fish also are prone to killing the injured or savegly picking on the injured.

• Like 1

Ive also seen it in turkeys and chickens cant speak for deer but i do a bit of work on a turkey farm and they are horrible cnuts they basically peck the weak ones to death they crowd round a small one and just peck peck peck on the heads and necks it leaves them in a right mess. I beleive there part of the vulture family it bloody hurts whem they get you as well.

• Like 1

Great footage. I'd say there's been a hell of alot more fighting going on prior to the film. Over here in the UK I've seen red deer after the rut that have taken a big beating. They just lay down and die, unable to move and thoroughly exhausted!

• Like 1

Great footage. I'd say there's been a hell of alot more fighting going on prior to the film. Over here in the UK I've seen red deer after the rut that have taken a big beating. They just lay down and die, unable to move and thoroughly exhausted!

yeh it looked that way didn't it , that young'un wasn't taking any prisoners was he, it looks brutal buts nature . just watch dogs when one injured they will pile in on it. seen it a lot .

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Not sure why some of you can't view the video. It showed the old buck, he looked injured, trying to get away but the younger buck kept following him, and at every opportunity, he rammed the older buck hard. I'd always thought the fight stops once one of them break away and try to leave.

• 4 weeks later...

During the rut , the males are energised to a huge degree as we know,

Energy can't just disappear , it's got to be spent , normally the Bucks go through their reserves fighting and shagging , it's not uncommon for a buck to be unchallenged and only shag and in the same vein with no females about the bucks will spent themselves fighting ,

it's more physics than biology , energy can't just disappear , it's got to be grounded out

• Like 1

During the rut , the males are energised to a huge degree as we know,

Energy can't just disappear , it's got to be spent , normally the Bucks go through their reserves fighting and shagging , it's not uncommon for a buck to be unchallenged and only shag and in the same vein with no females about the bucks will spent themselves fighting ,

it's more physics than biology , energy can't just disappear , it's got to be grounded out

Wow....

• 3 weeks later...

I am only the beginner but is it dangerous for you when the deer behaves aggressivel.

I am only the beginner but is it dangerous for you when the deer behaves aggressively?

No unless you have decided to keep a buck as a pet and raised it from a fawn. In these circumstances where people are around tame bucks during rut, they can get kinda onry towards people when they go up to pet them. Doe are not near as bad as bucks for being jerks during this time. Individual deer are different t and have different temperaments though.

During the rut, bucks are up on their feet cruising for hot doe and in high density areas pose a problem for motorists hitting the deer. That's the big problem with them where i live. Lots of bucks get hit by cars during the rut when they are crossing road ways. Doe like to eat the grass in the ditches also and bucks will check the doe. Young bucks will pester the doe and chase them around a little and when they do that when they are feeding at night alone side the roads in the ditches, it makes for more wrecks. Car wrecks are the big problem with deer here, especially during the winter months which happens to be around the rut