David Platts Deerhound X Greyhound

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no didn't get her off plats from Easington shes just over 12mth month shes keen as mustard to be honest ran a few things what beaglexs put up jumps for fun

Well Tarka.. youve come to the best place, a totally unbiast site where deehound crossess are concerned..where bullx and saluki x men and others who have never owned one will give you all the info yo

I bought a pure deerhound this was her at 5mth old shes now 12mth well pleaswd with her tbh just heard he bought a 3/41/4greyhound in few weeks back so not really all is stuff

Posted Images

Can we see some pics of David platts dogs ..or rather dogs that have come from his kennels

Look through some of the older threads on that subject on here,saves the bickering.

Spot on Morton...

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies ...I'm doing a bit of market research before I committ to buying a pup

Well Tarka..

youve come to the best place, a totally unbiast site where deehound crossess are concerned..where bullx and saluki x men and others who have never owned one will give you all the info you need to help you change your mind

• Like 6

Thanks for the replies ...I'm doing a bit of market research before I committ to buying a pup

Well Tarka..

youve come to the best place, a totally unbiast site where deehound crossess are concerned..where bullx and saluki x men and others who have never owned one will give you all the info you need to help you change your mind

lmao

Usually someone else's dog they have seen.

No one knows how the dog is treated, fed, conditioned. All them things can make a certain x look bad. Most xs will do a lot of lads I think, obviously bigger dog for bigger jobs, and I think getting a dog temperament to suit is the most important thing. You will never get most out of any dog if u don't like it and it don't like you.

Edited by Somewhereyournot
  • Like 2

I'm here in the U.S. and recently imported a grandson of David's Platt's Black Raven. I've been trying to find his contact info. to speak with him about his line but have been unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to contacting him?

Pm me and ill sort you dave platts number out if you haven't already got it

Edited by Stud dog
  • Like 1

Well Tarka..

Much as I liked the Deerhound x Greyhounds of twenty plus years ago, we can all look back through the rose tinted specs, but it is not without good reason the coursing bred stuff has been so popular for the last couple of decades

I live in the same town as plattsy himself and although he might have some big strong deerhounds I know he doesn't do much with them nowadays other than breeding and studding, abut like hancock :/ depends what your after and what terrain you'll run a dog on a guess!

Rabbits you can get better

Bigger faster rabbits you can get better

Ginger rabbits you can get better

Rabbits with antlers you can get better

Just my opinion

All the best with your searching

• Like 3

I live in the same town as plattsy himself and although he might have some big strong deerhounds I know he doesn't do much with them nowadays other than breeding and studding, abut like hancock :/ depends what your after and what terrain you'll run a dog on a guess!

Just my opinion

What if someone doesn't want to catch rabbits, are they any good then? PRE BAN :) , oh yeah, and I'll just shoot rats anyway :thumbs:

what sort of trouble did you have kimbo, i have owned quite afew deerhoundx over the years,and never had any problems with them,and yes ihave had first hand experience of daves dogs,and of late have been seriously getting another one from dave,as i find they do all i want to and are easy to live with,have excellent prey drive,and determination when behind something.

• Like 2

just 1 myth about the deerhound/greyhound is they are slow to mature i hear it said by all the experts.i've had afew of them now (PRE BAN TIMES) they all but one entered on day time roe deer at 10 months same with rabbits,hare about 1 year depends when they were born and fox about 18-24 months.although 1 would only go in 2's up.but all x's jack.i'm a big fan of them.

• Like 3

Just my opinion

What if someone doesn't want to catch rabbits, are they any good then? PRE BAN :) , oh yeah, and I'll just shoot rats anyway :thumbs:
I think he use to do a it with them proberly 20 years ago but like I said there's much better stuff out there all round for any game you wish to pursue

just 1 myth about the deerhound/greyhound is they are slow to mature i hear it said by all the experts.i've had afew of them now (PRE BAN TIMES) they all but one entered on day time roe deer at 10 months same with rabbits,hare about 1 year depends when they were born and fox about 18-24 months.although 1 would only go in 2's up.but all x's jack.i'm a big fan of them.

Good point Ginger beard, Ive only had two first crossers, and to be fair, their far from being my ultimate lurcher, but, I was killing rabbits with them from nine months with the bitch, and 10 month with the dog I bred. I enter pure deerhounds at 10 months, they were coursing in organised hare coursing event at 15 months, as this was the rule of the Deerhound Coursing Club at the time..Ive never challenged any others on this misconception, as they may have seen more, or had more experience with the breed..

• Like 2

just 1 myth about the deerhound/greyhound is they are slow to mature i hear it said by all the experts.i've had afew of them now (PRE BAN TIMES) they all but one entered on day time roe deer at 10 months same with rabbits,hare about 1 year depends when they were born and fox about 18-24 months.although 1 would only go in 2's up.but all x's jack.i'm a big fan of them.[/quote)

Good point Ginger beard, Ive only had two first crossers, and to be fair, their far from being my ultimate lurcher, but, I was killing rabbits with them from nine months with the bitch, and 10 month with the dog I bred. I enter pure deerhounds at 10 months, they were coursing in organised hare coursing event at 15 months, as this was the rule of the Deerhound Coursing Club at the time..Ive never challenged any others on this misconception, as they may have seen more, or had more experience with the breed..[/quote

Edited by davey