Bloody Sheep!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot the fecking thing and don't have another dog. Two dogs gone exactly the same way. I would seriously consider if you are competent enough to train a dog.   TC

Whatever you do you must do it quickly. Electric collar can work but whatever you do it must rock that dogs world to associate sheep with a very negative experience. Some dogs are broken easily to sto

A vibe I get through this thread is that lads seem to think that a dog is broken to sheep if you can walk it off the lead through a field of sheep. A dog is only broken to sheep if he lost his quarry

My dog is 5 and he isn't broken to sheep, for the sole reason that there isn't any where I came from.

I think he has run through sheep once when I was out up country a bit and paid them no mind, but that would be the only time he ever saw any.

Now however things are different, there are fecking loads of sheep round here so it's a problem......I can only sort it once my own sheep arrive as I wouldn't ask someone else who's ewes are in lamb maybe and put stress on that mans ewes, and if it can't be done then at this age then I simply won't run him where they are present.

A few kills under it's belt in the evening normally sees a dog steady up IMHO, once they have them they know what their out for and will respond to commands a lot better.

he a good tip wilf, get him out with another dog who used to them, it will have a knock on affect it really does. ive trained all my pups over the years with another dog with them there, the pups thinks (well my mates not bothered so I wont be ) , I know your is older but a dog a dog , and it will see there no big deal just do this 1st and if your happy with this. next step do some long recall through so the dog got run past them to you, as some sheep will scatter a bit , and that's all the better , as the dog will see them moving about.this is what you want because when just seeing them just grazing not moving /boring most dog don't bother , it when there running for what ever reason the real test for a dog :yes: . ive had lurchers 30 years now, and ive done the above with great results , but still don't trust any dog 100% , as said before dogs that been great with sheep for 8-9 years have out of the blue killed sheep , same as collies working them 24/7 have killed sheep , I think sometimes there instinct just kicks in wallop one dead sheep, there just dogs not machines . :yes:

Thanks for that Ray, that really is sound advice.

However, I know the dog well and he pays no mind to other dogs at all......the only effect another dog would have would be to make him more keen to kill the first thing he can get at.

I just need to use my head a bit, he will listen to me which is a good start and once I think he may be sound enough round them he still won't be getting the first few runs of the evening near them.

My dog is 5 and he isn't broken to sheep, for the sole reason that there isn't any where I came from.

I think he has run through sheep once when I was out up country a bit and paid them no mind, but that would be the only time he ever saw any.

Now however things are different, there are fecking loads of sheep round here so it's a problem......I can only sort it once my own sheep arrive as I wouldn't ask someone else who's ewes are in lamb maybe and put stress on that mans ewes, and if it can't be done then at this age then I simply won't run him where they are present.

A few kills under it's belt in the evening normally sees a dog steady up IMHO, once they have them they know what their out for and will respond to commands a lot better.

he a good tip wilf, get him out with another dog who used to them, it will have a knock on affect it really does. ive trained all my pups over the years with another dog with them there, the pups thinks (well my mates not bothered so I wont be ) , I know your is older but a dog a dog , and it will see there no big deal just do this 1st and if your happy with this. next step do some long recall through so the dog got run past them to you, as some sheep will scatter a bit , and that's all the better , as the dog will see them moving about.this is what you want because when just seeing them just grazing not moving /boring most dog don't bother , it when there running for what ever reason the real test for a dog :yes: . ive had lurchers 30 years now, and ive done the above with great results , but still don't trust any dog 100% , as said before dogs that been great with sheep for 8-9 years have out of the blue killed sheep , same as collies working them 24/7 have killed sheep , I think sometimes there instinct just kicks in wallop one dead sheep, there just dogs not machines . :yes:

Thanks for that Ray, that really is sound advice.

However, I know the dog well and he pays no mind to other dogs at all......the only effect another dog would have would be to make him more keen to kill the first thing he can get at.

I just need to use my head a bit, he will listen to me which is a good start and once I think he may be sound enough round them he still won't be getting the first few runs of the evening near them.

ok fair enough wilf , you know him better than anybody :thumbs: just do plenty of recalls with him then by the sheep, maybe the one to one might pay off for you :yes:

• Like 1

...........Or you could just take the dog where there's no sheep ?

I take it you have not hunted in Wales? :D You would do well to find ground with no sheep here.

TC

Edited by tiercel

I take it you have not hunted in Wales? :D You would do well to find ground with no sheep here.

TC

Not with a lurcher I haven't ;)

the hares here seem always to be in among them.theres a spot here coming down with hares but full of sheep what can you do,

Keep the dog on a lead and wait for the farmer to move the sheep to other pasture,only a nugget would run a dog through sheep.

TC

There is a vast difference between running a dog through a field of sheep where the sheep are confined and have little scope to move away to somewhere they feel safe,than running them in a vast open expanse,where the sheep are often widely spread about.