Bloody Sheep!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot the fecking thing and don't have another dog. Two dogs gone exactly the same way. I would seriously consider if you are competent enough to train a dog.   TC

Whatever you do you must do it quickly. Electric collar can work but whatever you do it must rock that dogs world to associate sheep with a very negative experience. Some dogs are broken easily to sto

A vibe I get through this thread is that lads seem to think that a dog is broken to sheep if you can walk it off the lead through a field of sheep. A dog is only broken to sheep if he lost his quarry

right, my dogs 18 month old today and whilst on a walk earlier, the little tw@t thought he'd celebrate with a bit of lamb. It's the second time he's done it now and I wouldn't mind but he's seen them all through growing up as a pup and I've tried to enforce that they're a no go as much as possible. And after the first time he did it, he got a good bollocking shall we say.

I'm starting to think that a remote shock collar is the only way to go now as he just will not listen whilst in chase.

Is he still young enough for a collar (or any other suggestions) to put it right or am I now pissing in the wind?

I got this dog from a pup because I had to get rid of the one I had before for doing exactly the same thing. Same breed funnily enough!

Is he saluki/bull/grey by any chance?
Yes mate saluki, bull grey! How did you guess!?

Your avatar pic looked like it might be. I've never owned one but My son had a pit that was very high energy as a young dog and I'd imagine that that combined with a saluki temperament might need careful stock breaking. Then again, any breed of lurcher can produce a pup which takes time to get properly steady with sheep. I'd say stick at it for a while before going with the E collar.

Just to let you know mate, it's not actually the one in that picture. She's fine with sheep, very occasionally she will want to chase when they run but she listens as soon as I tell her. It's just my other dog, when he's focused on something, he doesn't want to listen!

right, my dogs 18 month old today and whilst on a walk earlier, the little tw@t thought he'd celebrate with a bit of lamb. It's the second time he's done it now and I wouldn't mind but he's seen them all through growing up as a pup and I've tried to enforce that they're a no go as much as possible. And after the first time he did it, he got a good bollocking shall we say.

I'm starting to think that a remote shock collar is the only way to go now as he just will not listen whilst in chase.

Is he still young enough for a collar (or any other suggestions) to put it right or am I now pissing in the wind?

I got this dog from a pup because I had to get rid of the one I had before for doing exactly the same thing. Same breed funnily enough!

Your avatar pic looked like it might be. I've never owned one but My son had a pit that was very high energy as a young dog and I'd imagine that that combined with a saluki temperament might need careful stock breaking. Then again, any breed of lurcher can produce a pup which takes time to get properly steady with sheep. I'd say stick at it for a while before going with the E collar.

Just to let you know mate, it's not actually the one in that picture. She's fine with sheep, very occasionally she will want to chase when they run but she listens as soon as I tell her. It's just my other dog, when he's focused on something, he doesn't want to listen!

Are you on a wind up? FFS three dogs and they all chase sheep? Personally I think you are a first class idiot who should never own a dog again until you have been trained. If the above statements are the truth?

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 4

You could try a long line and keep walking by the sheep and get them to run and bollock him if he shows any interest and just put the time in daily

He had a dog from the same breeding previously, and he got rid because it was a stock worrier. Most people would have twigged that there was a possibility that a pup from the same breeding would go the same way and take steps to prevent it happening. Did he? Its seems not.

Some people no matter how much they love dogs should never have them. They are an accident looking for somewhere to happen, the problem is they give every other lurcher owner a bad name.

TC

Re read the post, I did take steps to prevent it happening as I have stated in the post. The first dog was three and I got this one from eight weeks and he has been shown sheep from as long as he's been able to go out. It is only recently this has started to happen. And all said and done, it's not just down to it being that particular cross

Are you on a wind up? FFS three dogs and they all chase sheep? Personally I think you are a first class idiot who should never own a dog again until you have been trained. If the above statements are the truth?

TC

Trouble taking in information??? One was already like that, it was three. Ones fine, every blue moon it will chase and try to play and has never actually attacked one and will stop when told to do so. And this one that I am trying to ask a genuine question about how to get it sorted that has attacked two but not every single time it's off the lead?

You could try a long line and keep walking by the sheep and get them to run and bollock him if he shows any interest and just put the time in daily

He had a dog from the same breeding previously, and he got rid because it was a stock worrier. Most people would have twigged that there was a possibility that a pup from the same breeding would go the same way and take steps to prevent it happening. Did he? Its seems not.

Some people no matter how much they love dogs should never have them. They are an accident looking for somewhere to happen, the problem is they give every other lurcher owner a bad name.

TC

And all said and done, it's not just down to it being that particular cross

I agree with you 100%, yet a hell of a lot of other people have that cross with no problems, what does that tell you?

TC

TC

I agree with you 100%, yet a hell of a lot of other people have that cross with no problems, what does that tell you?

TC

Tells me all dogs are different pal

TC

TC

Tells me all dogs are different pal

:laugh: Enough said!

TC

Shoot the fecking thing and don't have another dog. Two dogs gone exactly the same way. I would seriously consider if you are competent enough to train a dog.

TC

he right , the dog 18 month old you should have all sorted by this age, any dog can kill sheep even dogs that been safe for years , so it can happen .But if you punish it right the 1st time, norm there to scared to risk it. I know this may sound brutal to you, and it is but the dog got to be shit scared regards sheep, you got to give it a good hiding , I leave that to you how+ what you do. but either way that lesson got stay in its mind, some dogs a good yank on the lead with firm no , others you have to pile into them and knock the shit out of them, all dogs are different what your aiming for is (righteous -fear) they know what it is , so they wont do it. :yes:

• Like 4

It's hard to chastise a dog for doing something it's never done.

My brindle bitch has never looked at a sheep. Never had to tell her no or punish her. The opportunity has never arisen. Because she's always been 110% around them. I don't know why.

She could turn and attack sheep next week. And that would be when I would make sure she didn't do it again.

Like ray says. They gotta remember that lesson.

You said this is the second time and he was "given a bollocking" the first time. Maybe the bollocking wasn't big enough.

I've never fancied the saluki/bull mix. I've no doubt as to their capabilities in the field but it's got "pain in the arse" written all over it. Lol.

• Like 1