Hm1000

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why FAC. It seemed to me to be another aspect of air rifle shooting which interested me. I also noticed just how many FAC airguns were around at very good prices, mainly because of a smaller buying m

Hi Rez,   Thank you for such a good reply mate, you put my mind at rest in a good few areas there. Cold and calculating is how I would describe my 100 and I know "exactly" ho

Marko.   As I think you know, I grew up wanting a 7 while reading about John Darlings forays in Airgunner. So my opinion may be quite bias as I've always had a soft spot for them. Dad could never a

Aye up Rez :bye:

A question for you mate,- you know I fancy a Rapid and I use the HW 100`s a lot.

If you will Rez, I would value your thoughts on the Rapid in comparison and in .177 as that`s your Rapids calibre.

Thank you ,

atb

Marko.

As I think you know, I grew up wanting a 7 while reading about John Darlings forays in Airgunner. So my opinion may be quite bias as I've always had a soft spot for them. Dad could never afford to get me one, they were £545 back then, so I went without and he got me a AA S300 serial 069, still bloody 400 or so and one of the first, it was superb from what I remember. Anyway.

There is a saying never drive your dream car, as it could turn out proper wank, however, as much as this is true for me and my first rapid, I always knew there were better examples out there, referring to Mk1's. And perhaps this is issue one, finding the right example... As with all things that are 'old' and perhaps collectors items or have a cult following, every man and his dog has hand there hands on most of them, taking them apart, power up, power down, new bolts, seals and rings [some needed of course with service] Fine. My first one was a shed looking back, "yeah yeah, it's doing 11.3.." Sweet I thought to find out it was doing 28FPE with more ping than the local takeaway. I got rid and lost money on it. It was tatty as well for the amount I paid.

So, yeah, if you can find the right, well looked after rifle, that's half the battle won. But you do need a bit of a screw loose for Rapids, and your burnt to shed out ANOTHER 600-800 quid on ANOTHER rifle that could well be as bad internally as the one you've just got rid of. But with every bad one, you kinda get a bit closer to that good one with experience and what to look for as the same mistake isn't made twice with so much money. But. When you do get a good one, as I think I've said before, Rapids have a character to them, I think, as do all older rifles, the old Falcons, Ripleys, BSA's, and it's hard to explain, but they become mates that you just bond with. Even with all there less 'contemporary' features, again meaning the standard Mk1, you don't care. The power curve is learnt and you adapt to it. The gamo trigger is sweet, but not on par with the 100/HM/Mk2 units, but again, it's not a problem as you don't care :) it's your rapid and you get on with it, as it just does everything it needs to and nothing more. Which may explain why the look the way they do, utilitarian I suppose.

I'd say head over to the R7OC and just hang around. The wealth of knowledge is heavy to say the least and generally the rifles that are sold are really smart. To get one in .177 you'll be looking at a Mk2 as the original 7's only came in .22, unless you find a custom that's been adapted for the smaller caliber, like my own. Which I have to say is a bit of a find, especially with a CS custom ambi stock based on the original wood work. The good ones do go for silly money and fast.

With my own 100, I never felt that connection, perhaps it was my past of want that was never there, but found it cold, boring and predictable. Which is strange considering that it's a hunting tool, it should be predictable. I suppose I'm trying to say I never learnt anything with it.

Listed, this... Rapids positives... Nostalgia, build quality, appearance, reliability, user ability, balance, weight. Cons. And this is a f'kin pain in the arse. Theoben. Why they set the bolt threads for the theoben mounts so far forward I'll never know, no one can get the right eye relief with modern scopes. It was the same on my Fenmans... Jesus, the shooters eye is so far away from the lens, your shooting position is all of the place. Obviously easily fixed with a rail, but it's just annoying. If you look at pretty much every mk1 Fenman, the scopes set as far back as it can possibly go, and it's still not close enough.

So yeah, other than that, I don't really have any cons. It would be nice to get a gauge, but I know how many magazines I can get though before a fill so it's fine.

Accuracy wise, initially, I would of said it wasn't as accurate as my 100, but now I've had it for a while, I've learnt the trigger pull and how firmly I should hold it, so it's bang on. I do get the odd flyer, of course, but it keeps me on my toes and that flyer is still within half inch. Sounds mint too, thun'ping. Almost :)

• Like 2

Hi Phil,

Hope your application goes through mate, - can`t see why not.

Just nudging Rez over the Rapids as he has owned both the Rapid and HW 100 in .177.

What`s made you go FAC air Phil ?

atb

Why FAC.

It seemed to me to be another aspect of air rifle shooting which interested me. I also noticed just how many FAC airguns were around at very good prices, mainly because of a smaller buying market.

My shotgun license was comming up for renewal and thought it made sense to combine the two at a cost saving and the farmer whose land I shoot on had no issues with me using FAC rifles, air or live ammo although I have no interest in live ammo rifles.

I am NOT going down this avenue to increase range although I guess that may be posible but having the extra power brings it's own merrits, we will see if I am granted an FAC.

The Mk2 Rapid that I have a holding deposit on is 28fbs so not in the upper reaches of many guns like the FX Wildcat fac which sits at 47fbs. I hope it comes off as it will bring along some interesting aspects to my shooting and I'm sure one or two advantages in time.

Phil

• Like 3

Hi Phil,

Just nudging Rez over the Rapids as he has owned both the Rapid and HW 100 in .177.

atb

Why FAC.

It seemed to me to be another aspect of air rifle shooting which interested me. I also noticed just how many FAC airguns were around at very good prices, mainly because of a smaller buying market.

My shotgun license was comming up for renewal and thought it made sense to combine the two at a cost saving and the farmer whose land I shoot on had no issues with me using FAC rifles, air or live ammo although I have no interest in live ammo rifles.

I am NOT going down this avenue to increase range although I guess that may be posible but having the extra power brings it's own merrits, we will see if I am granted an FAC.

The Mk2 Rapid that I have a holding deposit on is 28fbs so not in the upper reaches of many guns like the FX Wildcat fac which sits at t I hope it comes off as it will bring along some interesting aspects to my shooting and I'm sure one or two advantages in time.

Phil

I know you say no interest in live ammo rifles... Why?

I'd just hop on the rim fire wagon with the power output going up to nearly 50FPE.

I'd love a rim fire, just not got the land.

Hi Rez,

Thank you for such a good reply mate, you put my mind at rest in a good few areas there.

Cold and calculating is how I would describe my 100 and I know "exactly" how she responds to most, if not all, hunting scenario`s.

When you describe " they become mates and that bond" was what I suspected with the Rapid lads, if not all differing rifles, calibres and their owners.

The bit where you say,- " you never learned anything with a 100" - on my style of static hunting - it took me to another level and still climbing compared to springers.

Cocking a springer on shot presentation "gives you away" so many times.

You read, many a time, on these posts about the bond/ confidence we get with our rifles/ calibres, for example if you will allow,

Rez,- likes the Rapids,

ftm, (Billy) - Rapids,

Big Mac,- Raiders and HW 100`s.

VM (Mitch)- Ultras, HW 100`s.

Myself,- HW 100`s, T Rex

etc, etc,

I think once you have that bond and confidence, " don`t let go".

Thank`s again for the reply Rez :good:

atb

• Like 2

Hi Phil,

atb

Why FAC.

The Mk2 Rapid that I have a holding deposit on is 28fbs so not in the upper reaches of many guns like the FX Wildcat fac which sits at 47fbs. I hope it comes off as it will bring along some interesting aspects to my shooting and I'm sure one or two advantages in time.

Phil

Good luck with the application Phil.

I've been tempted a few times. I had a go on a mates .25 running at nearly 50ftlb - I was knocking Magpies out of trees at 70yrds :thumbs:

..... I reckon you'll enjoy it :yes:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Rez,

the IMP you had on test I saw on your YT video's..think it used to be mine !

If it's the same gun which I think it is as I sold it with that sling and gun slip they spring is not standard.

I had issues with the gun, got it shooting nice but never happy with the galling.

Just bugging now if it's the same gun ..lol

I have a TM1000 by the way.

Those RAW know how to build an air rifle don't they .

Paul

Evenin. Somewhat old thread this :)

Not sure mate. Got it from a member on here. No idea of its past. Could be... Startin a love affair. Was mint.

Ahhhh. A TM. I assume you'd of had your ear chewed off by mr tawn then... The man can talk. Yeah they do. Hardly use mine at the minute, something I've got to address. Got a rapid you see. Seems to be getting most field use.

Hey up Rez,

I went and bought anothe rIMP today mate..used ..MINT

Just 25 pellet's through her. Came with the Hawke Max 2-7x30

Scope really nice, IMP is like a bar of chocy mate..silky smooth.

My PCP's be staying their slip's for a while.

Still fancy a HW97K ..love that one you have mate.

Paul

• Like 1

Hey Rez,

If it's the same gun which I think it is as I sold it with that sling and gun slip they spring is not standard.

I had issues with the gun, got it shooting nice but never happy with the galling.

Paul

Not sure mate. Got it from a member on here. No idea of its past. Could be... Startin a love affair. Was mint.

Ahhhh. A TM. I assume you'd of had your ear chewed off by mr tawn then... The man can talk. Yeah they do. Hardly use mine at the minute, something I've got to address. Got a rapid you see. Seems to be getting most field use.

Hey up Rez,

Paul

Hey Rez,

Paul

Hey up Rez,

Paul

"...like a bar of chocy mate... silky smooth." :D

Good man.

It was defo my old IMP

Yea she was a minter mate, sold it to Tom on Pigeon Watch.

I'm thinking of a FHT500 at the mo.

Need another springer myself !

Get that HM rocking my son !!!!

Only just spotted this thread - yep your right it was your old gun!

Hi Tom,

you still using it mate ?

I missed it so bought another at the weekend !

Love those little 99s

Sorry to nick you thread thread Rez . :bye:

Love your YT vid's man..keep em coming mate.

Yes occasionally I mainly use my rws excalibure (posh webley raider lol) but it's nice to have as a back up gun and for the occasional wander - It's a lovely thing! I just fitted a hw mod and it's really quiet with that fitted too!

And agreed - rez,s videos are mint!

Hi Tom,

you still using it mate ?

I missed it so bought another at the weekend !

Love those little 99s

Sorry to nick you thread thread Rez . :bye:

Love your YT vid's man..keep em coming mate.

Ha. Its totally alright. No sweats.