Methods Of Breaking To Stock?

After a conversation today with a few friends about stock breaking lurchers, there's a few ways people do it, what are peoples ways of stock training there pups or older lurchers, I let them them of at a young age around 3-4 month old and walk about in field with pup off lead keep calling him when he eyes them up

Depends on how well you know the farmer!!! If I'm round my mates farm he's ok with the pup showing a bit of interest if he's off the lead to begin with whilst he's learning. If it's on public footpaths with stock in the fields then I use a long lead. It's good to get them in there as much as possible.

Depends on how well you know the farmer!!! If I'm round my mates farm he's ok with the pup showing a bit of interest if he's off the lead to begin with whilst he's learning. If it's on public footpaths with stock in the fields then I use a long lead. It's good to get them in there as much as possible.

yea there is that my local farmer told me to keep mine on a lead so i was bit stuck there and as you say long lead is handy then

This Hancock pup of mine is the hardest iv had to stock break bloody thing has been around sheep since day one and still don't trust it !! Don't want to kill them just herds the fecking things !! Some days she doesn't even turn its head the next she constantly try to herd them any ideas on getting it sorted quickly?

Take it your from Wales ??

That rules out a Ecollar lol..

Repetition and exposure..

Keep reinforcing there not on the menu..

How olds the dog and is it running game ??

Yeep Wales !!

She's seen them all her life can see her look at me see if I'm looking at her !

My two older lurchers are always there and don't even turn there heads to them !

She run a few bits and bobs she's 11 months now !

I'd imagine one the seasons upon us and the dogs getting more gear under her belt she have less intrest in them. Keep doing what your doing.

I used to do but of obedience around the sheep.Getting them to long down stays,walking away a far distance and calling the dog back to you,through a flock.

Mind on id build upto that.

Loads of praise for positive behaviour and obviously correct of dogs showing interest in sheep..

I had a collie cross,that I resorted to a Ecollar.

Keep at it dogs only young and I'm sure you can get it cracked.

had a lurcher that couldn't trust round sheep nothing more frustrating than when the dogs gone out of site worrying about it always looking 2/3 fields ahead I think its got to be the most important thing you teach it going to make sure this pup doesn't even look at them

This Hancock pup of mine is the hardest iv had to stock break bloody thing has been around sheep since day one and still don't trust it !! Don't want to kill them just herds the fecking things !! Some days she doesn't even turn its head the next she constantly try to herd them any ideas on getting it sorted quickly?

She'll come round in the end. Collie bred pups are often like it.

Yeep Wales !!

She's seen them all her life can see her look at me see if I'm looking at her !

My two older lurchers are always there and don't even turn there heads to them !

She run a few bits and bobs she's 11 months now !

Get a good stop command and your half way to a sheepdog forget running it lol

• Like 1