Getting Fit

Av got 4 dogs on an av got them out for half hour in the morrning with a tennis ball an when I finish av either got them around the fields or on the lead for a good hour half an that does them fine an they look fine but they will look better once the season starts

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Used to run 7 mile 3 times a week with a terrier and lurcher on the roads so the dogs where always on a lead, one night a cat ran down the street and the dogs decided to change from a leisurely jog to

I bike to work twice a week with mine. It's about 4 miles with a split of roads an tracks. He will trot to the side of the bike fine. The rest is daily walks and mooch out with other dogs so they can

I just put my rucksack on tracking collars on and hit the mountains can walk some miles and dogs keep themselves fit go for hours at a time couldn't be dealing with biking them rather walk them fit

Posted Images

Used to run 7 mile 3 times a week with a terrier and lurcher on the roads so the dogs where always on a lead, one night a cat ran down the street and the dogs decided to change from a leisurely jog to a sprint with me attached, the only way I could stop was to run head first into a parked van, not very pleasant. Got three dogs now and I'll not be jogging with the three of them I'll end up getting ran over.

Ha reminds me of the time time last winter walking the dog across a steep bank on a lead. A rabbit ran across in front of us and he took off after. It was wet and muddy and I couldn't get traction so had no choice but to run along as fast as I could or fall flat on my face. Finally managed to stop him at the bottom. Must looked right plum :)

I go on the bike everywhere about 14 km is my normal root and she just trots next to me all the way

You are so lucky to have paths like that. I have either roads with cars on them, or miles of track, but between woods lifting with all manner of forbidden wild life: kind of makes any bike trip a heart-in-mouth occasion even with the dogs on leads; never know when a munty is going to appear round the corner :icon_eek:

• Like 1

I go on the bike everywhere about 14 km is my normal root and she just trots next to me all the way

You are so lucky to have paths like that. I have either roads with cars on them, or miles of track, but between woods lifting with all manner of forbidden wild life: kind of makes any bike trip a heart-in-mouth occasion even with the dogs on leads; never know when a munty is going to appear round the corner :icon_eek:
The root I take her on is all depending on how fit she is, so if I need her feet tightening up I've got a root planed out on the road or on the fields got a root for that and her stamina aswell, the root that's on the pic is all different types of ground start of on road then on to dirt tracks then gravel then what on the pic which goes for a good 2 miles next to a river then in to dirt tracks again then grass then road again then get her home and she's still bouncing around everywhere

Used to run 7 mile 3 times a week with a terrier and lurcher on the roads so the dogs where always on a lead, one night a cat ran down the street and the dogs decided to change from a leisurely jog to a sprint with me attached, the only way I could stop was to run head first into a parked van, not very pleasant. Got three dogs now and I'll not be jogging with the three of them I'll end up getting ran over.

sounds like you learned your lesson haha

I have one of these on either side. One for the lurcher and one for the whippets who u have in a coupling. Still have full control over the bike and the spring takes any pulling from the dogs. I would highly recommend you lads using one of your running the dogs next to the bike.

Mine seems to trot along at heel on the bike and he matches his speed perfectly and doesn't zig zag about. I hold his lead loosely just in case some thing pops up then I can either let go or as I use the daughters bike with no bar I can put me feet down quickly if needs be and stop :thumbs:

First day in August, first day of conditioning, did a few mile on the bike this morning and barely a pant from her, few more days of it and ill kick it up a notch atb

Micky

post-59917-0-42684900-1438418679_thumb.jpgpost-59917-0-58405100-1438418865_thumb.jpg

Edited by MickyB
  • Like 2

I just put my rucksack on tracking collars on and hit the mountains can walk some miles and dogs keep themselves fit go for hours at a time couldn't be dealing with biking them rather walk them fit

• Like 2