Bull x Grayhound

pointless for rabbits and rats.......... :laugh: but for foxes i would have a 5/8 3/8 or a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull :yes:

I know of a heavy 1/2 bull x that can catch rabbits and rats and pulls foxes. But thats not whats hes used for mainly

put it on some golf corse bunnies see how it does then.... 8) and while we are on the subject if a heavey 1/2 bull x is doing them think what a decent whippet / rabbiting dog could do :gunsmilie:

and witton he dident say what he wanted it for... :D in my opinion having a half bull x for rabbiting sounds like a bad move to me :yes:

I agree mate he should get a shite whippet grey like yours :laugh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pointless for rabbits and rats.......... :laugh: but for foxes i would have a 5/8 3/8 or a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull :yes:

:clapper:ARE YOU REAL LOL FECK ME,MY HALFXCAN CATCH RABBITS FOR FUN MATE,THEY TOO ARE IDEAL RATTING DOGS MATE :toast:

:guitar: how would you know i thought you just sat on your arse and talked shit all day, but i must of got you mixed up witch some one else.... :D good for you your half x can catch rabbits for fun shame he carnt take a fox though......

aint witton.... :D i think he should get one like yours but then agen that wouldent be anygood for anything 8):laugh:

must agree with you on that moll fine looking dog in that pic :good:

:clapper:ARE YOU REAL LOL FECK ME,MY HALFXCAN CATCH RABBITS FOR FUN MATE,THEY TOO ARE IDEAL RATTING DOGS MATE :toast:

:guitar: how would you know i thought you just sat on your arse and talked shit all day, but i must of got you mixed up witch some one else.... :D good for you your half x can catch rabbits for fun shame he carnt take a fox though......

WHAT TYPE OF SCORES DO YOU EXPECT TO GET OUT OF A WHIPPET GREW ON A FULL NIGHTS LAMPING

aint witton.... :D i think he should get one like yours but then agen that wouldent be anygood for anything 8):laugh:

must agree with you on that moll fine looking dog in that pic :good:

So if you want a bull cross for all quarry that gets up infront of it, how about the brown hare? Pretending for a minute this quarry is still legal in Britain, do you really think a half cross bull/greyhound would do well on hares during the daytime? :blink: Ive yet to see one that is, they make better fox dogs than anything else. Of course they will take rabbits too, most dogs that are half greyhound can do that, maybe not on golf courses :D but they will have a go, I do admire the gutsy attitude of the bull cross thats for sure :thumbs:

make great pig dogs over here but id bearly own one theres a few things if you want allrounder that they are proberly slightly to heavy to do like in wet country they'd proberly slip to much compered to say a fox who is lighter and has more tracktion also ferreting proberly slightly harder for them then most dogs i dont belive there super intelingent ethier compared to a collie grey or staghound and they'd have to have trouble on a hare but i dont no about first cross id more likly go for a generation bred bullygrey thats proven and you know what to expect because of the parents

for the hunting i do id own dogs with bully in them 100% but not a bully grey first cross theres better breds in my opinion although theres always exeptional dogs i wouldnt bred a litter expecting one

also the best rabbiting dog iv ever seen was a bullygrey cross wippet

also molly judging from your post on this topic it seems your biest and you are unwilling to see the breds flaws

cheers

Ive been on hunting forums for enough years to know there are always people who will minutely scrutinize all of your post, blow it out of proportion then cut it to pieces. Therefore i always use the words...usually, can, most etc.

No-one said they can do ALL forms of work. To compare a bull cross as a hare dog is as sensible as comparing a beddy/whip as a deer dog. But then again i had better say 'most' beddy/whips, cos you just know someone, will know someone, who knew one that could pull reds :laugh:

Am i biased about the breed, yes i probably am, because for years now ive read posts that say bull x's are only good for one thing..fox! They are all heavy and slow, all thick, all aggressive, not trustworthy etc. Usually from people who have never owned and worked a bull x.

Then again even people who own, breed and work bull x's will tell me it is a waste to work them on rabbits, try telling the dog that!

They are not perfect, but neither is any breed or any dog, i champion them because I find them to be just what i want in a lurcher, perhaps Jazz was unique that i had a dog i could rely on 100% and came above MY standards, but i doubt it. Im sure there are people out there thinking the very same about their collie x, saluki x etc. The best allround working dog i have personally seen work had absolutley no bull in him whatsoever, but i personally do not attract to him for various reasons as i do the bull x's.

I am speaking as i find, if that means i am bull biased, im quite happy to live like that :D

MOLL.

I wasnt really minutely scrutinizing your post, it was more the pics that caught my interest (I always prefer a post with pics to one without) and the photo of your dog chasing a hare, thats all very well and good, but can the dog, or should I say pre ba, could the dog

shut the gap and get to the hare

do much with it when it got there

kill the hare

as in my book you can chase hares all day but if the dog cant do the above 3 then its no good as a hare dog. I didnt mean to make you feel singled out, apologies if you did, its just not very often people post pics of a bull/grey on hares, its usually rabbits, foxes, deer.

Ive yet to see a half bull that performs well on hares, a really sporting testing quarry for a lurcher, if you have one that can, well thats superb :thumbs::victory:

It was not directed at you in general SJM, just an observation as i am sure you, yourself are aware of. Some people cannot have a constructive discussion so have to pick your posts to pieces to make it look like you DEFINATELY said this and that ;)

Did she catch that hare? Nope, she did'nt have a hope in hell :D But then again i doubt 'most' dogs would be able to in this terrain, waist high juncas rush, grass, nettles etc, she did however really close the gap prior to loosing it, not bad with a missing rear ligamnet 8) The only time i have ever really been anywhere near hares is since i moved here, and her leg was buggered just before moving. So she had never really been tested?

She was very fast, and being a small dog could turn on a sixpence. People thought she was a whippet x. So i would say the possibility was definately there SJM...but we shall never know :rolleyes:

She has caught one whilst lamping years ago with Woodga...but then again it was already half dead :laugh:

MOLL.

Getting closer :toast:

post-1820-1195393912_thumb.jpg

Yeah they can certainly be hard work in those reedy bits :yes: What happens 9 times out of 10 with my dogs is the hare lets them gain a bit and then goes into a thick patch, throws them a dummy and comes out the other side leaving the dog to bounce around on its back legs in the reeds looking for it :doh::laugh: Its good fun chasing them on bits like that when there is a wee smattering of snow on the ground, just a light dusting, enough to make the hares easier to spot and Ive found these conditions greatly increase your chances of the dog spotting it again if it comes out the other side :thumbs: Good pics :thumbs:

Even better fun with 2 mad terriers helping, bouncing about like kangaroos :laugh:

Of all my dogs, the only one to have caught 2 fully grown adult hares, one weighed over 7lb is......

post-1820-1195394803_thumb.jpg

:yes:

:laugh:

MOLL.

Mine looked heavy at that age, still does :D Infact at just 17wks she weighed over 2.5 stone...35kg's :icon_eek:

They go through various growing stages, sometimes they look all legs, other times short legs and long body. I would'nt worry about it just yet.

post-1820-1195415286_thumb.jpg

Do a search through my topics HH, you will find quite a few pics of her ;) .............

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...ult_type=topics

MOLL.

Guest hunter1983

I THINK EVERYONES MISSING A POINT HERE AND THATS THAT GREYHOUND HAVE ALREADY GOT BULL BLOOD IN THERE LINES. THIS WAS INTRODUCED TO GIVE THEM A BIT MORE FIRE AND GRIT. BUT AND A BIG BUT THE DOG THEY USED TO DO THIS WERE NOT THE POOR WATERED DOWN VERSION OF TODAY BUT THE OLD FIGHTING DOGS OF YESTERYEAR PROPER BULLDOGS WITH QUALITIES WHICH COULD ONLY ENHANCE THAT OF THE GREYHOUND WHEN BRED BACK TO A FINE SPECIMEN. I DONT THINK LURCHERS OF TODAY COULD BENIFIT ALOT FROM ANOTHER INJECTION OF THE WEAKENED BULL BLOOD WHICH WE HAVE TO HAND.. THAT JUST MY APPINION THOUGH I MIGHT BE WRONG.