Exercising Pups

I was wondering how much exercise people give there pups arounds 6 months of age, I walk mine 2 mile a day and let her burn of a bit of energy in field but I'm getting told this is a bit much, she isn't knackered after this she's plenty left in her just want honest opinions as I don't want to ruin her, she's a saluki bull hound x collie hound

I don't lead walk mine any more than I have to in order to get where I can let them off lead. They probably spend an hour a day actually out on a walk, but most of that is spent playing about, learning about scent, finding their way through fences/stiles etc, swimming in summer. A forced march doesn't do much for a pup's learning apart from seeing the big world, and is actually more tiring than running then stopping when it wants to when it is loose. Mine aren't kennelled either so spend most of their days messing about at home and roaring round the garden. I would imagine they go a sight further than 2 miles during a day and pups do need to run as much as they want to so they develop properly.

• Like 3

Yep experiences are more important then distances at that age first 12 months of a pups life really set the tone for later on in life so loads field craft and field mammers if thats what you call it haha

2 mile is nothing though. Dogs are like kids. Let them do as much as THEY want some will naturally wanna do more. Key is having a healthy pup thats what counts. Only you will know what he needs.

As above.... at that age it's more about learning than building muscle. Two miles free, walking and running over fields, through woods etc. isn't too much as long as the pup is enjoying it. Let it follow you through fences, over obstacles, through shallow streams and sniff at scents to it's hearts content. :thumbs:

Occasionally give a whistle and when she looks up at you run off so she comes after you.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2

I've always tried to restrict pups mileage too much while they are still growing, whilst trying to give them as much education as possible.

However my pup just now is so highly strung it's impossible not to give her massive amounts of exercise to calm her down.

I keep lead walking to a minimum and just let them mooch off the lead for miles. I also do a lot of steady bike work along the canal, stopping regularly for breaks and water etc.

I was wondering how much exercise people give there pups arounds 6 months of age, I walk mine 2 mile a day and let her burn of a bit of energy in field but I'm getting told this is a bit much, she isn't knackered after this she's plenty left in her just want honest opinions as I don't want to ruin her, she's a saluki bull hound x collie hound

All depends on the individual pup,id not exercise a pup to exhaustion as it will do it more harm than good,pups should enjoy the exercise and rest as they wish.They will let you know when they have had enough,then its bed and fed.At 6 months of age an healthy pup will breeze a couple of miles and a free rein in the grass.

Thanks for replies guys its what I doing at min is around quarter mile to fields then let her of for rest of time she s stock trained gets through or over most obstacles this is around a mile and half she gets plenty of mental stimulation and is a well mannered pup so I know know now it s not over doing her thanks