Anyone Have Or Had This X?

How come you was so many breeds in a dog???

Lurchers have long had umpteen different breeds in them. Once upon a time people would put useful dog to useful bitch without caring or knowing exactly what breeds were in them. They produced lurchers. It doesn't have to be a first, second or even third cross to produce a good animal. My own lurchers have so many breeds in them I wouldn't know where to start, but they are lurchers and have been since before the 1960s and for who knows how long before then. I know for certain that there is Collie, Greyhound, Bedlington, Deerhound, Saluki in there, but there's bound to be more. No pure breed has been added for many generations. Not saying that they're any better than first or second crosses, but they suit me.

post-5156-0-44521500-1438330846.jpg

Bit of Collie added to the line:

post-5156-0-30497300-1438330916.jpg

• Like 5

How come you was so many breeds in a dog???

Lurchers have long had umpteen different breeds in them. Once upon a time people would put useful dog to useful bitch without caring or knowing exactly what breeds were in them. They produced lurchers. It doesn't have to be a first, second or even third cross to produce a good animal. My own lurchers have so many breeds in them I wouldn't know where to start, but they are lurchers and have been since before the 1960s and for who knows how long before then. I know for certain that there is Collie, Greyhound, Bedlington, Deerhound, Saluki in there, but there's bound to be more. No pure breed has been added for many generations. Not saying that they're any better than first or second crosses, but they suit me.

attachicon.gifhoney-waiting.jpg

Bit of Collie added to the line:

attachicon.gifb-sparrow-and-ferret.jpg

Seen many many lurcher x lurcher over the years, most of them really useful. And you are correct, sometimes it gives you a certain peace of mind knowing exactly how your dog is bred, but it certainly isn't necessary, and doesn't make the dog any better or worse for the fact you don't know the exact parentage.

And to answer bedlington/greyhound, lurchers with the breeds you mentioned in them wouldn't have been that uncommon around 30ish years ago :thumbs:.

For example, deer/grey x collie grey sire, beddy/grey x whippet/grey dam would have been a fairly normally seen ad, whether the parents were exactly that, who knows? Lol. And as skycat said, most of the time nobody really cared that much! Lol

Edited by shaaark
  • 10 months later...