How To Up The Power

Why do you need to turn the power up?

Fair enough it might seem a 'problem' but it's a sweet power output. You won't notice that extra ft/lb shooting at most distances.

Sorry Rez i disagree ,may be at targets its ok not for hunting IMO

That's fine man, but I've clearly shown 9.7 is enough. 10 ft/lbs is enough for shooting game.

What is it that extra 1 ft/lb does then v'man? Assuming you like yours around 11 of course. It doesn't give you any further distance within normal ranges. It'll kill with ease.

Reading my post back, it's sounds like an debate starter, it's not really as you right say imo at the end.

• Like 1

That's fine man, but I've clearly shown 9.7 is enough. 10 ft/lbs is enough for shooting game.

What is it that extra 1 ft/lb does then v'man? Assuming you like yours around 11 of course. It doesn't give you any further distance within normal ranges. It'll kill with ease.

Reading my post back, it's sounds like an debate starter, it's not really as you right say imo at the end.

I think, by my experience Rez, it's not so much a power issue but the actual speed at which the pellet reaches a rabbit at reasonable hunting distance. There's enough lethal muzzle-energy in a pellet fired from 10ft/lbs at the muzzle, to kill humanely at normal ranges as long as the animal stays put while the shot hits the brain successfully.

At 90 yards there is still 3 ft/lbs of kinetic energy left in a pellet shot from 10ft/lbs at the muzzle and that''s enough to penetrate the skull, into the brain and kill it humanely. 90 yards is way beyond sensible hunting ranges. So there should be no problem there then, with 10ft/lbs muzzle energy for humane hunting at 20 to 50 yards range. In this sense, you are absolutely right in what you say. :thumbs:

But... If it moves, and some Rabbits will, there's now more chance of wounding rather than a clean humane kill, the longer the shot takes to reach the rabbit's head or whatever live quarry you shoot at.

A .177 neck shot is not a guaranteed outright kill, rather, it will crawl away into cover of undergrowth, choking till it dies, wherever it ends up. Even the bigger .22 is no sure thing here.

An extra 1 ft/lb energy isn't much, but it can make the difference between a kill you can pick up. Or send an animal crawling into undergrowth to die a slow death. None of us can say with absolute certainty that we will only ever hit the head and brain with every shot we will ever fire.

Personally, I think the more energy you can legally use, the better. My FAC HW80 .22 at 21.5 ft/lbs energy can put a rabbit flat-down instantly at 30-40 metres, way faster than a 12 ft'lb rifle can. But that is just my opinion as I see the power point here my friend, not a set-in-stone rule of shooting. "Thou shall not have less than 11.3 ft/lbs in thy rifle!" :thumbs:

Simon

• Like 1

I think, by my experience Rez, it's not so much a power issue but the actual speed at which the pellet reaches a rabbit at reasonable hunting distance. There's enough lethal muzzle-energy in a pellet fired from 10ft/lbs at the muzzle, to kill humanely at normal ranges as long as the animal stays put while the shot hits the brain successfully.

At 90 yards there is still 3 ft/lbs of kinetic energy left in a pellet shot from 10ft/lbs at the muzzle and that''s enough to penetrate the skull, into the brain and kill it humanely. 90 yards is way beyond sensible hunting ranges. So there should be no problem there then, with 10ft/lbs muzzle energy for humane hunting at 20 to 50 yards range. In this sense, you are absolutely right in what you say. :thumbs:

But... If it moves, and some Rabbits will, there's now more chance of wounding rather than a clean humane kill, the longer the shot takes to reach the rabbit's head or whatever live quarry you shoot at.

A .177 neck shot is not a guaranteed outright kill, rather, it will crawl away into cover of undergrowth, choking till it dies, wherever it ends up. Even the bigger .22 is no sure thing here.

An extra 1 ft/lb energy isn't much, but it can make the difference between a kill you can pick up. Or send an animal crawling into undergrowth to die a slow death. None of us can say with absolute certainty that we will only ever hit the head and brain with every shot we will ever fire.

Personally, I think the more energy you can legally use, the better. My FAC HW80 .22 at 21.5 ft/lbs energy can put a rabbit flat-down instantly at 30-40 metres, way faster than a 12 ft'lb rifle can. But that is just my opinion as I see the power point here my friend, not a set-in-stone rule of shooting. "Thou shall not have less than 11.3 ft/lbs in thy rifle!" :thumbs:

Simon

Hello Simon

.177 or .22 in the HW100 and long or short barrel ? in a sub 12 rifle.

Simon

Hello Simon

.177 or .22 in the HW100 and long or short barrel ? in a sub 12 rifle.

Thats for you decide , no difference in accuracy the only difference is weight :thumbs:

• Like 1

Some body decided that 12fbs , is enough to kill at 40/50 yards , so use it , Imo

Fac air I would think just makes certain of a kill at longer ranges with the k/e

But you still have to hit the kill zone

But the field craft needed to get to shorter ranges is some times better than long range Shoting , it's a art in its self !

And Imo more satisfying

Atb

• Like 2

Here we go.

An extra foot pound of energy will no be noticed to us. Its a right debate that I think we've allllll had before. 10 is enough. IMO.

A 21.5 ft/lbs 80 is a bit out of the course of the chit chat to be honest.

A 21.5 ft/lbs HW80 is what I have legally at my disposal and I use it like any normal air rifle. The reason for it being in my armoury is, it is perfect for hunting Mink which fidget and move like hell and I was missing more shots on them with sub 12 ft/lb rifles. It is not so wise for barn shooting ferral pigeons. The pellet will go right through certain types of prefabricated roof panels and knock a chunk out of wooden beams. But my Regal is perfect for that job.

However...

At 10.3 ft/lbs with my Daystate Regal, I can clearly see the pellet arc into the target in the scope I zero at, at 40 metres range. That makes me uncomfortable that I can see a .177 pellet fly with about the same trajectory curve as a .22 pellet. So no. For me the faster the pellet, the more oomph it has with less time spent flying in the air getting to the target, the better. I have successfully hunted with it at this level of power, but for me, personally, I like a bit more grunt and and a bit more punch, just to be sure.

If you are happy with 10 ft/lbs and can put all your quarry in the bag with it, so be it; and let no-one argue otherwise. It's your sport, your way. And that's as it should be for everyone.

• Like 2