Could Corbyn Rescue Labour ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corbyn to the rescue, more power to his elbow as far as I'm concerned. Anything that keeps that shower of shit out of power for as long as possible is good for me.   The reference to Thatcher always

IMO that's a major problem with our politics. There's too often very little thought applied to a stance other than "Well those fuckers over there said it's black, so we had better say it's white!".  

The Labour Party thought up the bottomless pit that is the NHS, they have actively promoted the distruction of our culture by immigration, they have been the sympathetic ear to every odd ball and luna

Labour are shafted for the forseeable future...SNP have seen to that. the only way labour is going to get anywhere is some kind of pact with the SNP. I hope Labour go left as the further left they go the further away from their chances of gaining power.

• Like 1

But if Labour go further left, there could be a pact with the SNP

Until SNP do another referendum, and then scotland is it's 'own' country.....from that moment on it will be the curtains for Labour as a party that can achieve anything at all...

• Like 1

I think Labour have to hope that the SNP landslide is a flash in the pan. If they remain dominant, Labour will be virtually unable to regain power alone. There are no UKIP or Green blocks to target, so they will have to contest directly against SNP or the Tories. In England, voters turned to the more right-wing Conservatives, while in Scotland victory went to the more left-wing SNP - Labour are between a rock and a hard place ! It almost seems irrelevant who wins the leadership - there won't be a Labour PM in the near future.

They could gain some ground by splitting Scottish Labour from the national party, allowing them some policy autonomy, but this goes against the consensus that they need to appeal to the electorate as a whole, not just regions or sections. Even if they had averted the SNP landslide, Labour would still be in opposition, so a division of the parties might allow them to fight on two very different fronts.

A lurch to the left could cost them even more support, but their support has already fallen away (even in some of their traditional heartlands) - with nothing to lose, the voting members could decide to make a stand, even though it will cost some 'electability'. But a move to the right could be equally unwise - who will vote for 'pretend Tories', when you can have the real thing ?

I think Labour have to hope that the SNP landslide is a flash in the pan. If they remain dominant, Labour will be virtually unable to regain power alone. There are no UKIP or Green blocks to target, so they will have to contest directly against SNP or the Tories. In England, voters turned to the more right-wing Conservatives, while in Scotland victory went to the more left-wing SNP - Labour are between a rock and a hard place ! It almost seems irrelevant who wins the leadership - there won't be a Labour PM in the near future.

They could gain some ground by splitting Scottish Labour from the national party, allowing them some policy autonomy, but this goes against the consensus that they need to appeal to the electorate as a whole, not just regions or sections. Even if they had averted the SNP landslide, Labour would still be in opposition, so a division of the parties might allow them to fight on two very different fronts.

A lurch to the left could cost them even more support, but their support has already fallen away (even in some of their traditional heartlands) - with nothing to lose, the voting members could decide to make a stand, even though it will cost some 'electability'. But a move to the right could be equally unwise - who will vote for 'pretend Tories', when you can have the real thing ?

Voters hardly turned to the more right-wing Conservatives, they increased their share of the vote by 0.8% at the election :laugh:

I think Corbyn could do a lot to bring in people that have either never bothered voting due to a lack of a real left-wing option and also bring back a lot of the Labour supporters that left the party after Blair and Iraq :hmm:

One thing I know for sure is he has the Blairite establishment in the Labour party absolutely shitting themselves and that can only be a good thing :thumbs:

Like I said, 0.8% of voters turned away from other parties to vote Tory, so they did but hardly in any great numbers.

They're in government because the libdem vote collapsed and they mopped up a lot of their seats where they came second in the last election, UKIP spreading the vote in traditional Labour areas and of course the SNP. With a helping hand from FPTP of course ;)

The idea that a party that only managed to get 24% of the voting age public to agree with them somehow represents the opinions of the country at large is farcical.

Like I said, 0.8% of voters turned away from other parties to vote Tory, so they did but hardly in any great numbers.

They're in government because the libdem vote collapsed and they mopped up a lot of their seats where they came second in the last election, UKIP spreading the vote in traditional Labour areas and of course the SNP. With a helping hand from FPTP of course ;)

The idea that a party that only managed to get 24% of the voting age public to agree with them somehow represents the opinions of the country at large is farcical.

Conservative percentage was 36.7, but otherwise I agree with your final point.....

Conservative percentage was 36.7, but otherwise I agree with your final point.....

Percentage of the vote, not percentage of eligible voters ;)

The runaway winner in the last election was the "Stay at Home and Don't Bother" party, maybe Corbyn offering a real left-wing option can motivate some of them to get out and vote?

The runaway winner in the last election was the "Stay at Home and Don't Bother" party, maybe Corbyn offering a real left-wing option can motivate some of them to get out and vote?

Do you think that the hard leftys are generally inactive then? Imo they are one of the most active groups there is politically.

• Like 2

Do you think that the hard leftys are generally inactive then? Imo they are one of the most active groups there is politically.

I know a huge amount of leftists totally disaffected with Labour after the Blair years who have said they'd consider voting Labour for the first time in years (or ever) if Corbyn was leader, also know plenty that waste their votes on the few protest-vote leftist options (TUSC, CPGB etc).

You just need to look at the amount of disaffected leftists joining Labour to vote for him to see that there is a huge pool of young, leftist voters that don't really have anyone even trying to appeal to them (unless you count the Greens :laugh:)

I know a huge amount of leftists totally disaffected with Labour after the Blair years who have said they'd consider voting Labour for the first time in years (or ever) if Corbyn was leader, also know plenty that waste their votes on the few protest-vote leftist options (TUSC, CPGB etc).

You just need to look at the amount of disaffected leftists joining Labour to vote for him to see that there is a huge pool of young, leftist voters that don't really have anyone even trying to appeal to them (unless you count the Greens :laugh:)

you know a whole heap of bellends :thumbs:

• Like 1