What Is The Best Bait For Bass?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

50 yards of multi-mono rigged correctly will murder a few

I found a lot of fish had a time of the tide to catch them in Pembrokeshire,on the west facing coast around St Davids off the rocks it used to be an hour and a half before and after high tide first fo

Recently moved to west Wales been caching plenty of schoolies on plugs of rock marks before I tried that I tried lug and rag which mostly produced dog and flounder I had a look inside some of the bas

Hi Live sand eel is very good whole soft crab whole side of a pout whiting and live prawn on float, hook the prawn once through the tail third segment from the tail. Don't be frightened to cast very short if its a steeper beach.

At Blackpool sands near Slapton sands Devon first light and dusk into dark if you cast more than 40 feet out you will just get doggies.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Peeler crab is hard to beat, it'll catch pretty much anywhere, from an estuary to rock marks and a beach..

As Jonah said my fave is probably live eel, particular on really light gear and free lined.

The thing with bass is finding where and when they are feeding, you only get a short window usually when they're "having it"... if you do find out could let me know lol

When hes let you know kev any chance you can give me a ring.

As well as world seafishing forum there is a southwest seafishing forum that may cover the areas youre looking to fish.

• Like 2

Recently moved to west Wales been caching plenty of schoolies on plugs of rock marks before I tried that I tried lug and rag which mostly produced dog and flounder I had a look inside some of the bass I caught on plugs and and nine times out of ten crab was there been fishing a light rig on crab ever since and had some nice fish 8 pounder being the biggest of pendine last week and a few 4 to 6 pounders in llansteffan coming in on the tide sand eels work well there to also noticed that when the tide starts coming up the estuary I been catching schoolies on the first run then at full tide seem to get the bigger ones for about 45 mins then all goes quiet

• Like 4

I found a lot of fish had a time of the tide to catch them in Pembrokeshire,on the west facing coast around St Davids off the rocks it used to be an hour and a half before and after high tide first for the makeral then the bass and other fish following the bait fish shoals and up on the surf beaches it was sand eel on a bubble float in the suft that did the best for me for bass.You got some good fishing grounds there willo the wisp and tight lines mate indeed :thumbs:

Edited by fireman
  • Like 4

Going on a boat trip next Monday out of Swansea marina, not done much sea fishing. Ordered a load of pealer crab, any tips on catch bass?

Who's the skipper? If it's Pete Nick you could be in for a good day.

TC

• 2 weeks later...

Baits depend on where you are going to fish. Surf beaches like llangennith in s Wales you won't beat live razors, failing that lugworm fish well. Obviously ur sand eel and mackerel etc will still fish but They wouldn't be top of my list. Estuaries peelers crab, rag worm although I know of a 13lber caught in the river by me on a whole mackerel which coughed up a shad. Docks I'd use small rag, maddies or mussels. Not to clued up on artificials so really couldn't help there. Boat fishing I know they use the live eel a lot and drift sand bars etc.

Now that I'm clearly a bass fishing expert I'd say the best bait in my experience is anything that NEWKID gives you to stick on the hook (lug)!

It worked for me!

Well it f****d my early ramblings about peeler, they were mad for lug weren't they??

I kept putting peeler on and watching you drag another in on lug lol