Young Kestrel And Rspca

Country Joe

I was out today walking my Lurcher along a well used dog walkers path, when i spotted a young kestrel, it was fully feathered, but could not fly, i realised if i left it, a dog would nail it.

I flung my jersey over it, and brought it home, I phoned an Animal hospital Where it clicked onto answering machine and advised me to phone the RSPCA, which I did, spoke too, so called Officer, who said I should return it, the parents would be around and would feed it, I explained I had waited half an hour, and there was no sign of parents, she appeared to me , not to be listening, and said all fledglings should be left alone.

So I took it back and placed it about 10ft where I found it, in a safer position, where it would not be seen by dogs, as I walked back across the field I could still see no sign of the parents.

Was this the right thing to do, for this Bird?

When I picked up one on the golf course the wife dropped it off at there rescue centre , every pennie they spend saving birds and animals is a penny less in there fighting fund against the hunts

• Like 2

I get lots of different types of birds brought to me and come across lots when out,I would of force fed it before taking it back,but yes it was the right thing to do,the RSPCA do not have a clue what to do with birds of prey and will kill most of them with ignorance,they survive by volunteers helping them and if they have,nt any experience of the breed then its curtains for the animal, WM

Unless it was fully fledged and in mint condition it wont be flying yet anyway .Bird of prey fledglings are very lazy preferring to rely on parents rather than move far unless forced to by hunger .The parents wont feed a kestrel fledgling much more than 3 to 4 times a day with whole prey .Should have left alone in the first place and returned later to see if its gone .Many tawnys are picked up this way too when all they are doing is waiting for the next meal .

I wasnt happy about returning the Bird, but i did and it was only about 20 mins since i found it, i returned it to a saver place about 6ft away fro where i found it, and it would not be seen by dogs.

Returned today and the Bird was lying dead in exactly the place i left it, wish I had known someone near me who kept Falcons, as this was one bonnie Bird.

RSPCA forcefully (long story) took a Golden Eagle away from a Falconer and killed it through ignorance!!!!

Ironically they took it out of the hands of one of the most able men in the country & fed it rabbit laced with lead shot. Of course that was after firstly orchestrating an expensive police raid!

All for nothing.........