Broken Front Leg

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with their lurcher breaking the front leg and if they were ever able to run again,my dog has broken both his bones 3 inch below his elbow joint he has had the big bone plated and small bone set in place,he is 3 year old just turned so not really old to heal up.any advice please. Thanks

scotty ive had a few with front broken legs ,the first one I spent 1800 to get it pinned the opp failed and due to them wanting to amputate the leg due to a infection in the bone,i done best for that dog and it was pts ,the second didn't go that far she was pts on the spot with a bad break,theres no way i would want to run a dog that had such an injury because it would awlays be in my head that the dog has a week spot ,i hope your dog recovers well atb bobza

It all depends on the type of fracture and how good a surgeon you went to. I have known dogs to run well pinned and plated and if a simple fracture as long as the blood supply has not been restricted the new bone growth should be as strong as the original bone .

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with their lurcher breaking the front leg and if they were ever able to run again,my dog has broken both his bones 3 inch below his elbow joint he has had the big bone plated and small bone set in place,he is 3 year old just turned so not really old to heal up.any advice please. Thanks

I had a bitch broke her front leg the vet put a cage on the out side of the leg with pins going trough the leg above and below the break.She was walking on it after 3 days when the cage and pins came of after six weeks she was lame for a week.I started her back walking and free running after that when i had her almost ready to run a man bought her of me [i told him about the break ] he was ringing me that season telling me how good she was .Never went lame on it as far as i heard after . :thumbs: Good luck with yer dog