Rustling In The Void

I'm only licenced for moles and other than spraying ants and the like I've never involved myself with other forms of pest control. We have a basement with a suspended ceiling. The void is about 30cm high and above that are beams and floorboards. Over the last few days there has been a rustling noise coming from one area close to one of the concrete dividing walls. It sounds like scurrying but is static in location. I tried surprising it by quickly lifting one of the ceiling boards but saw nothing. I've tried sneaking up on it and again, the noise stopped but there was no sound of anything escaping. There is no droppings, no food or nest and no wood dust. Just a bit of concrete crumb around the edges and normal dust. No footprints either and there is no signs of anything coming or going. I'm totally at a loss. Any suggestions?

Could you put a wildlife motion camera above ceiling to capture any movement?

Could it be a water pipe vibrating against something else to produce the noise? or near the tile you lifted and that is why the noise stopped

Poltergeist??? :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Do you hear this noise mostly at night or during daylight hours?

Do you believe, whatever is making this noise, is coming in and out of the house? If so, any idea where it might be gaining entry?

Can other people hear these noises or just you? I went to a woman's house the other day who saw insects disappearing into the wall.

Cheeky! (I hope that you still charged her?)

Little Wife first heard it. Not surprising as I'm as deaf as a post due to shotgun related hearing loss. The house is built on a full size basement with concrete and stone walls. The false ceiling is suspended by wires and all water pipes are fastened to the walls. There are none near to where the noise comes from which is adjoining one of the walls. If it were beetles or wood burrowing thingies I would expect to see wood dust and holes. There isn't any debris like that. No mouse droppings, no nest or chewed wires, nothing. It usually happens mid-morning and if it were a rodent (there are several to choose from out here) I'd expect it to keep Little Wife awake as our bedroom floor is over the area we hear it.

get a .410....wait untill you hear said noise and with cocktail stick feel for the vibration of the critter scratching ( sound can be distorting) and when you do simply shoot it thru the false ceiling :thumbs:

And the floorboards just above :icon_eek:

Thanks. But no thanks. I'll set up a camera. ;)

Seen as noise is coming from one particular spot, might it be getting into the cavity of the wall, but not being able to entire into the actual space where you looked, between suspended ceiling and floorboards?

Just edited to add! You mention in the OP that the noise is close to a concrete partition wall! What's on the other side of this wall? Can you gain access to it?

Edited by EDDIE B

Thanks. But there is no cavity. Solid concrete walls in the basement. I've moved a ceiling board so I can observe from a distance and nothing at all has moved this morning. I'm going to put a camera up tomorrow to see if anything is moving up there.

Could be a wasp nest in the void. They sound a lot like scratching noises. I had one on Friday where there was a scratching noise in a roof void and the kids in that bedroom thought it a good idea to hit the roof and broke through the thin plaster straight into the nest.

• Like 1

Could be a wasp nest in the void. They sound a lot like scratching noises. I had one on Friday where there was a scratching noise in a roof void and the kids in that bedroom thought it a good idea to hit the roof and broke through the thin plaster straight into the nest.

Could well be. Little clicky, clicky chewing noises? Look outside for a flightpath . Or stick a chocolate biscuit -hang on -half a chocolate biscuit up there and see if it goes .

Edited by comanche

It appears to have solved itself for the time being. After moving one of the ceiling boards to be able to observe the area we haven't heard a thing.

Aha! Of coarseO! Loose ceiling board moving with a breeze coming in from somewhere! Think about it! Every time you lift the board for a look, silence! Lol?