22 Hornet Or 17 Hornet?

Yes you can eat meat shot with the .17 hornet. In what way is it in your opinion disadvantaged against a .223.?

Less powerful, not deer legal, reduced range, ammo far less available, smaller choice of rifles and second hand market.

What do you mean you can eat meat shot with it exactly? Are you saying that you can body shoot rabbits and still have a decent carcass? Because a hmr fucks them up so I find it a little hard to believe that a hornet wouldnt. Though perhaps we just have a different opinion in acceptable damage. As I said, to my mind for small game for the table it's head shot only with anything more powerful than a 22 rimmy so I'm struggling to see the advantage of the 17 hornet over the 223. But that my personal requirements. Clearly yours are different and that's fine too. Atb

They are two different rifles for different jobs, it's a bit like me saying a .223 is disadvantaged against a .243 so why bother with the .223.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the hornet fits nice for me for small vermin because my next rifle is 6mm br so a nice gap.the 17 hornet is out classed by the 223 no doubt but it out classes the hmr by a country mile.i guess the hor

never owned a 22 hornet but i'm real im pressed with the 17 hornet,cz of course.

Just wanna add, I'm not trying to attack the caliber or anyone that uses it. We all have our favourites for whatever reason and I've never used one so just throwing out my ponderings.

Yes you can eat meat shot with the .17 hornet. In what way is it in your opinion disadvantaged against a .223.?

Less powerful, not deer legal, reduced range, ammo far less available, smaller choice of rifles and second hand market.

What do you mean you can eat meat shot with it exactly? Are you saying that you can body shoot rabbits and still have a decent carcass? Because a hmr fucks them up so I find it a little hard to believe that a hornet wouldnt. Though perhaps we just have a different opinion in acceptable damage. As I said, to my mind for small game for the table it's head shot only with anything more powerful than a 22 rimmy so I'm struggling to see the advantage of the 17 hornet over the 223. But that my personal requirements. Clearly yours are different and that's fine too. Atb

They are two different rifles for different jobs, it's a bit like me saying a .223 is disadvantaged against a .243 so why bother with the .223.

I don't see it like that at all personally, but like I said, just different opinion. :thumbs:

It's cheaper to feed than the 223, I just wasn't sure whether that cost saving was enough to offset the drawbacks I've mentioned compared to the 223. I guess that depends on your individual circumstances.

Edited by Born Hunter

the hornet fits nice for me for small vermin because my next rifle is 6mm br so a nice gap.the 17 hornet is out classed by the 223 no doubt but it out classes the hmr by a country mile.i guess the hornet is a great replacement for the hmr for guys only running a hmr or with a calibre larger than .223.the only trick the hornet has is superb exphansion ie i have center massed a rabbit and nothing exited so it dumped 3650 fps in a few inches.but the best thing it has to offer is less noies than a 223.

would i get one if i had a 223? only if i wanted to preserve my 223 barrel for fox ans send plenty through the 17 hornet on rabbits.otherwise no. would make a nice night vision rig mind.

• Like 2

.17 hornet has 1/2 the drop of .22 hornet.

There's ammo available off the shelf, no need to reload unless you want to.

It's very flat shooting - zero a .17 hornet at 200yds and you have only @1inch over at 100yds and only @ 6 inches of drop at 300yds!

...and at 300yds, there's still around 200ft lbs energy and over 2,000fps. Not sure I'd try to take fox at that distance due to bullet weight, but 200 is certainly possible and with smaller game, 300 should be no issue.

The advantage of .22 Hornet, is it has @ 200ft lbs more energy from memory but that has to be considered against the increased drop and ammo choice.

I am replacing my hmr with a cz .17 hornet, variation is in. :thumbs: To me it is the rifle everyone wants the hmr to be and isn't. :yes:

a wise move pal

how much do the reloads cost compared to hmr rounds? have you ever used n130 for it or does it need faster burning powder.

Some interesting points and making me think about my rifle choices.

If the 17 hornet / Rem is flatter, more stable and quieter than say both the 22lr and 17hmr - that might be a better idea. (getting close to rabbits to use the 22lr properly is tricky sometimes as they get used to things and become skittish)

223 just makes too much noise (even moderated) and rips rabbits apart so can't really sell them on as i'd like to. maybe the 17 range is a way to go.

Just wondered what others were experiencing.

Some interesting points and making me think about my rifle choices.

If the 17 hornet / Rem is flatter, more stable and quieter than say both the 22lr and 17hmr - that might be a better idea. (getting close to rabbits to use the 22lr properly is tricky sometimes as they get used to things and become skittish)

223 just makes too much noise (even moderated) and rips rabbits apart so can't really sell them on as i'd like to. maybe the 17 range is a way to go.

Just wondered what others were experiencing.

I'm not sure you can compare quietness of .17 CF to .22lr. Nothing I've ever come across beats .22lr with subs for silence.

You can also never tell sound from a video, but what is interesting in this one, is that with these two rabbits that are shot at over 200yds, the 2nd one hardly flinches and doesn't get spooked, when the 1st is shot.

Edited by Alsone

I am replacing my hmr with a cz .17 hornet, variation is in. :thumbs: To me it is the rifle everyone wants the hmr to be and isn't. :yes:

a wise move pal

how much do the reloads cost compared to hmr rounds? have you ever used n130 for it or does it need faster burning powder.

12 grains of powder so comparable to a hmr round.n130 to slow n120 works.