12" Steel Gong Targets

Alrite Guys, Is anyone interested in purchasing any of theses diy gongs? 12" by 10mm.

Ive tested it with 17hmr at 100 yards .22lr at 60. .223 at 200yards. The targets hold up well. I wouldn't go any closer than 150/200 yards with the .223 though as i think eventually the rounds would punch through.

Ive been using them for the past month and their much more fun than paper. You don't have to walk down range to see when you've hit as is swings and make a very satisfying "DING".

The beauty of them is that they are reusable targets. I just carry a small can of white hamerite spray and when the targets full of marks give it a quick spray to patch it out, works a treat.

You can hang it off trees/ fences (as long as there's a backstop) mine is attached to a fold away saw horse via chains so i can set it up anywhere.

Like i said i rate them and its given me confidence to push out my range a bit, no issues shooting out to 300 yards now, Could easily go more if you've decent knowledge of Moa/ drops/ windage.

If your interested they are going for £25 and postage :thumbs:

i'll see if i can upload some video's soon.

post-36631-0-31885900-1436607693_thumb.jpg

post-36631-0-27623100-1436607709_thumb.jpg

post-36631-0-80762300-1436607730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had some 14mm steel targets and the .22-250 went threw at 100 yards using ballistic tips and using soft points went threw at 150 yards. 1 bullet hole aswel was old rusty steel though probably not as strong as that stuff

Edited by shropshire dan

They look like a good bit of kit. I'm guessing, looking at the edge, they're plasma cut or lasered. If that is the case presumably its a simple affair to alter the dimensions. I reckon you could find a real good market in making a range of smaller sizes to offer up more of a challenge ;) you've certainly given me an idea for my next little shed project. If you have the means to "mass produce" them I think you have the potential to be on to a nice little earner. Again my biggest suggestion would be to make a few smaller ones as well :)

I had some 14mm steel targets and the .22-250 went threw at 100 yards using ballistic tips and using soft points went threw at 150 yards. 1 bullet hole aswel was old rusty steel though probably not as strong as that stuff

They look like old cast iron manhole covers. I'm guessing the OP has some kind of scrap yard / contract.

I also doubt that's laser cut. It's a very imperfect edge. If you look at the 1st pic, it's very rough with one or 2 chunks out. Also in another pic you can see pilot holes all the way around the edge. My guess is the OP drill pilot holes as markers and then used an angle grinder to cut these down.

Edited by Alsone

The steel needs to be selected carefully, mild steel of any sort is no good for centrefires, trust me I've tried, the bullets go

straight through even up to 12mm thick, thicker stuff doesn't fare much better either I had some 30mm thick billets, about 6" x 4"

given to me.

The strikes from my .270 & 7x56 blew 1" diameter silver craters about 1/2 way through, copper jacket material is welded to

the steel, makes a good 'clang' and a shower of sparks mind.

Someone showed me a gong they had made from some armour type steel, it had dents and splashmarks but was otherwise

useable, he shot a .243 and a .308 at 100 yards.

I suppose for you centre fire guys out there hardox is the way to go, with my piddling little rimfires I don't think its a major concern for me ;)

As an aside I'm pretty sure they're not cut out with an angle grinder, the centre pilot hole kind of indicates a plasma cutter has been used with a compass either that or a very tidy job with gas judging by the striations, also its obviously not cast iron rather mild steel tread plate ;)

• Like 1