What Do You Think Of Cockerdors

cockerdor, when will it end!! not getting at you gun dog 123 but when I was a kid these where called mongrels and were given away as no bugger would give a brass farthing for them, now you cross anything you can get your hands on, give a cute name and thanks very much that'll be five hundred quid.

That's my rant for the week and its only Monday, happy days....................

• Like 6

I've not got a problem with it being a cross anything type of dog, I'm not saying it couldn't be a great gundog if trained and yes those of you who have previously posted I probably would ask what type of cross it was, the problem I have (and perhaps problem is to strong a word) is people giving it them a cutesy name and charging a fortune for it, but then if people are willing to pay then hey ho, who am I to say?

Fortunately though I've been dabbling a little myself and I've managed to cross a "Werthers original", with the designer brand "French connection UK" , and a pair of "converse all star trainers", trouble is all I've ended up with is a "werthfcukall", any takers?

Edited by brucemyster
  • Like 4

I've not got a problem with it being a cross anything type of dog, I'm not saying it couldn't be a great gundog if trained and yes those of you who have previously posted I probably would ask what type of cross it was, the problem I have (and perhaps problem is to strong a word) is people giving it them a cutesy name and charging a fortune for it, but then if people are willing to pay then hey ho, who am I to say?

Fortunately though I've been dabbling a little myself and I've managed to cross a "Werthers original", with the designer brand "French connection UK" , and a pair of "converse all star trainers", trouble is all I've ended up with is a "werthfcukall", any takers?

I think from the working point , there's no real reason to x working breed gundogs, as each one will tick the box for hunter = flushing,peg dog, and most retrieve anyway . But being honest ive seen a fair few of these designer type dogs, and what nice temp dogs they were, that cocker poodles and lab x poodles , one of the reasons they choose these type dogs, they wanted clever,nice temp, dog that didn't loose dog hair all over the place, and I think they made good choice . Lets face any ped dog to day knocking on £ 800 quid , so what there are paying for these type dogs only about normal price to day, and to me there temps are good as these people had kids with them. my sister had a standard poodle , big black feckin thing and was sharp with people /dogs , so x poodle with a gundog breed if just as a pet dog, I think was a better type dog :yes: I have thought many a time what type of dog to get, when I pack lurchers in had bad back for years, and it seems to be getting worse of late. me as person always struggled with sensitive type dogs , and lurchers deff are even bullxs are, put any running dog in a mix you will get it :yes: . so I was thinking what breeds there out there that don't sulk or shit it self if you tell them off , I don't want a dog in your face type, but just what I call normal type temp . I have thought of labs few times , but I was told they get few health probs today HD etc , even though just a pet I still think you need a healthy dog to go for nice long walks, anyway just few things going in my head at this very moment .lol

I think from the working point , there's no real reason to x working breed gundogs, as each one will tick the box for hunter = flushing,peg dog, and most retrieve anyway . But being honest ive seen a fair few of these designer type dogs, and what nice temp dogs they were, that cocker poodles and lab x poodles , one of the reasons they choose these type dogs, they wanted clever,nice temp, dog that didn't loose dog hair all over the place, and I think they made good choice . Lets face any ped dog to day knocking on £ 800 quid , so what there are paying for these type dogs only about normal price to day, and to me there temps are good as these people had kids with them. my sister had a standard poodle , big black feckin thing and was sharp with people /dogs , so x poodle with a gundog breed if just as a pet dog, I think was a better type dog :yes: I have thought many a time what type of dog to get, when I pack lurchers in had bad back for years, and it seems to be getting worse of late. me as person always struggled with sensitive type dogs , and lurchers deff are even bullxs are, put any running dog in a mix you will get it :yes: . so I was thinking what breeds there out there that don't sulk or shit it self if you tell them off , I don't want a dog in your face type, but just what I call normal type temp . I have thought of labs few times , but I was told they get few health probs today HD etc , even though just a pet I still think you need a healthy dog to go for nice long walks, anyway just few things going in my head at this very moment .lol

GSD x Lab are a really good cross.

been on a few shoots beating over the years most dogs are only as good as the handlers/trainers anyway .Came across a few x types don't know if it was the trainers as stated but never seen an outstanding worker among them.TIN hat on time I think but only speaking as I found .As for price that's another issue had a litter a few years ago sold pups kc reg docked chipped jabbed £350 at the same time these crosses selling from 500-700 quid most with only the first injection could't fathom it out but all advertised as having the good points from both breeds good retriever fantastic hunter The thing is you have got the pup maybe you should have asked opinions before buying but its up to you how it turns out now.only my daft opinion mind :laugh:

GSD x Lab are a really good cross.

yeh sounds good x , but heard some times this x can be bit sharp with people/dogs , but just be the owner to soft with the dog, this was from bloke who had this x few years back as guard dog .

Not sure about all this pompous attitude towards cross bred gundogs! With a cocker x lab, you've got the hunting instincts of a cocker and the retrieving instinct of a labrador. What more could you want? Like the user who first replied said, train it like a gundog and you'll have, no doubt - a brilliant little worker!

It always intrigues me how in the gundog community, crossbreds aren't well received, yet in the lurcher and sighthound community, crossbreds are the norm! :hmm:

Good luck with the dog, and get a few pictures up if you can!

• Like 2

so if I x a daschound with a greyhound I will get a very fast dog that will run under the fence and not have to waste time jumping it.you don't always get the good points from both breeds

• Like 3

With the right training and patience I am sure your mongrel will turn out to be a decent working dog. One shoot I beat on one lad has a Jack Russell that has put numerous 'pedigree gun dogs' with xzy field trial champions in their lines to shame. My brothers lab is not from a working line, but puts many of the working line labs I have seen over the last few seasons to shame. He puts in loads of training / effort in to the dog. Don't rush to get your dog out working too soon and make sure the dog is rock solid on basic commands before trying more advanced training. Sorry for rambling on I can't be doing with poorly trained dogs ruining a drive or walked up section, be they gun dogs with ten thousand million billion field trial champions in their heritage or a mongrel. Good luck. Oh and get the bugger broken to stock. :)

• Like 1