Can Vasectomised Hob Be Kept With Jills All Year

I've bred my ferrets this year, I always use jills for my ferreting, I am thinking of keeping a hob back to keep the jills out of season. If I get it vasectomised can I keep it with my jills all year or will it need a seperate cage after its brought them out of season in summer.

As said depends on the hob and the amount of jills in with him , if a couple etc you got to watch he doesnt mark them or cut them , i rotated 6 jills round my snipped hob and he was too shagged out to mark them

As said depends on the hob and the amount of jills in with him , if a couple etc you got to watch he doesnt mark them or cut them , i rotated 6 jills round my snipped hob and he was too shagged out to mark them

What a life...

• Like 1

Ours lives with 3 jills and he never marks their necks at all. They have come back into season once after he took them out the first time, and he's never bothered them in between times and seems to be very gentle. It does depend on the individual hob just like if they weren't vasectomised: some are very rough and can't be left in with the jill beyond 24 hours; others are gentle.

Our vasectomised hob and our castrated hob live with 10 Jill's in a big ferret court all year with no problems

If anything the Jill's jump on him the lucky sod he gets so much attention during the summer that he does the business without marking any of the Jill's.

We occasionally get a Jill with a phantom pregnancy trying to drag the others to her nest but it soon passes. We use my mates proven complete hob with our best Jill if we want to breed ourselves a few Kitts.the Jill is taken out the court and put into a big cage when she has a couple of weeks to go so she can have her young in peace. All the ferrets are worked in the winter including the vasectomised hob.

This works for us others will do things differently

HAPPY HUNTING

Mine has to be taken out after a week or two as he shags the jills skinny. The first time he went in he took a lot of weight off them but I had left him for about 3 weeks. No marking on either of the jills which is a bonus too.