Dry Food.

I've also got three freezers two in the garage and one in the shed but I'm wanting to upgrade a older one to a sx footer , I like to end the season with them full of grub for the ferrets and obilously they run down but a few lamping trips and a day decaying pigeons tops them up again

I'm maybe fortunate I get new permissions coming along and I can flatten rabbits on them and don't have to worry about rabbits needing to repopulate so I can get some ferreting and also ive got my work we get to hit it hard during the summer with the air rifle that feeds the ferrets and doesn't affect any ferreting

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Struggling to see how lads are struggling to feed the ferrets flesh year round.   You heard of chest freezers?   Don't you're dogs pick the odd bunny up on walks?   Don't you have an air rifle?

Didnt mean to be sarcastic pal, so i apologise, but in my opinion, you are depriving them of their natural diet, meat n bone, i get the flies, but i deal with it, if you must feed biscuits, then cat b

If you feed the cheapest possible bag of cat food that is the same as feeding your dog Wagg or some similar crap made up of floor sweepings, feathers, beaks, grain, beet pulp, soya and God knows what

Posted Images

Its not hard to keep the ferrets on meat without too much hassle - A good regular cleaned hutch without excess rabbit lying in it for days shouldn't attract flies...Put the meat in at night and take whats left out in the morning.

As for dry cat food, you might as well give them weetabix, its probably better!

Picture%20928_zpspz8dwccu.jpg

Edited by Fat-Ferret
  • Like 1

Rabbits 7 months,then freezer is empty,dry cat nuts and pigeon when I can get them,how can you feed rabbit this time of year like to see the size of your freezer :huh:.If I did like some lads on here kill rabbits this time of year would have very little for the winter.Just cruel killing rabbits this time of year.Very easy to fill freezer with rabbits.One ferreting trip.How do you still have rabbits left from February,Shooting 3\4 rabbits is bull, there is not enough meat on them to feed an army of ferrets.

Why is it cruel to kill rabbits this time of year and not in the winter...

Does are not feeding young rabbits in the winter,if you are going to kill milky does in the summer,young rabbits will be dying for days in the burrows. Young rabbits suffering for days not what the hunting game is about. If you have to clear a farm killing milky does make sure you get the young and not cause suffering to the rabbits. They surely deserve

We were digging to young uns in january, .........

• Like 1

Aye there breeding all year round some places so does that mean you can't touch them ,a small rabbit makes a nice meal for a jill with new kits or a single hob , the only bad thing about killing rabbits just now I reckon is gutting them smells worse than it does in the winter

The topic dry feed, even the great Simon Whitehead feeds dry in the summer, but like myself back on rabbit middle of September, I agree feeding rabbits during hunting season is a must.But the problem in summer the freezers are empty,pigeon can even have blue fly on them before they leave the field.Just makes more sence to feed dry in summer,and the ferrets are jumping out of their skin, shiny coats,if they were not in great condition they would not get cat nut,same size of the ferret nuts,and the ferrets love them,but they also love there rabbit for 7 months.

Aye there breeding all year round some places so does that mean you can't touch them ,a small rabbit makes a nice meal for a jill with new kits or a single hob , the only bad thing about killing rabbits just now I reckon is gutting them smells worse than it does in the winter

A few rabbits breed nearly all year round, but not to the extend they do in summer.

With a wee bit of work it's easy to feed meat all year the dogs are just being walked and when he comes back my son will feed the ferrets and with fly bags round the huts that really cuts the numbers of flys down and removing the remains in the morning helps but I still get maggots devolving but I take the lid off the crap bin a few times a day and the birds get a feed on the maggots

I don't get all this upset with flys,,,

If you got livestock outside,,,you get flys,,,simple,,,you can't stop them compleatly,,,and to be honest I don't try,,,

I've never had a ferret get upset about flys,,,there animals there used to them

All you can do is put your hutch closer to your neighbours house than your own,,,clean them regular and take the carcas out ....

As for dry,,,that's not ferret food,,,,I feed flesh all year same as the others,,,

• Like 2

But enough meet in at night to last ferrets into the next morning , by the worst heat of the day nowt left for flys . Repeat next evening .

This is what I do. In winter when it gets really cold Ive left rabbit in up to 3 days.

Bred a litter this year and of course the jill is nursing so needs food 24 hours a day, so I bought a bag of jwb dry to feed in the day when it was to hot for meat, The amount she was crapping it cant be good for them. I switched back to flesh only when the kits got to 3 weeks, didn't want them eating dry. I am about a week away from running out of rabbits from the ferreting season so Ill have to get out with the air rifle.

Bought 2 hobs a few years back which had been weaned on tinned cat food and dog biscuits, they were in surprisingly good condition.

• Like 1

its not just carcasses that draws the flies, its the piss and cacky, 1st thing every morning im out theer cleaning up after em, stick my head deep inside the hutch, deep breath, eh love it, draws the shirt up my back. then go do missen a full monty

• Like 3

its not just carcasses that draws the flies, its the piss and cacky, 1st thing every morning im out theer cleaning up after em, stick my head deep inside the hutch, deep breath, eh love it, draws the shirt up my back. then go do missen a full monty

Cracking post.

Mrs must love the full monty ur always at it,ha ha.

I always feed fresh meat (all year round) unless I forget to defrost it, then I'll give them dried food on the odd day that happens. Rarely get fly/maggot problems as I don't overfeed them. What I give them is consumed within half a day. I sometimes suspend sticky fly papers outside the cage when flies are most prevalent.

• Like 1