Dry Food.

Won't be extinct, but need summer to recover,thin out a lot of farms, then give it rest for few years move on to other farms,I actually let live rabbits out where I live,I'm sure you are killing a lot of milky does,young blind rabbits dying in the burrows.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Struggling to see how lads are struggling to feed the ferrets flesh year round.   You heard of chest freezers?   Don't you're dogs pick the odd bunny up on walks?   Don't you have an air rifle?

Didnt mean to be sarcastic pal, so i apologise, but in my opinion, you are depriving them of their natural diet, meat n bone, i get the flies, but i deal with it, if you must feed biscuits, then cat b

If you feed the cheapest possible bag of cat food that is the same as feeding your dog Wagg or some similar crap made up of floor sweepings, feathers, beaks, grain, beet pulp, soya and God knows what

Posted Images

Just shows you can't control the problem,you must be the only one ferreting around the dales need to cut down on the amount you feed them in the winter their falling a sleep in the burrows,bolt one or two and you think there the best thing since sliced bread,milky doe.

Do you do anything but bait the blue flies off the ferrets dinner all day,I know the ferret game all right,some of us have children can't spend all the time killing flies.clean ferrets out every 2 days have big garden mesh at the toilet area in the box a lot falls through the mesh or would you think of doing that.

Rabbits 7 months,then freezer is empty,dry cat nuts and pigeon when I can get them,how can you feed rabbit this time of year like to see the size of your freezer :huh:.If I did like some lads on here kill rabbits this time of year would have very little for the winter.Just cruel killing rabbits this time of year.Very easy to fill freezer with rabbits.One ferreting trip.How do you still have rabbits left from February,Shooting 3\4 rabbits is bull, there is not enough meat on them to feed an army of ferrets.

Why is it cruel to kill rabbits this time of year and not in the winter...

I have a dog, 4 adult ferrets 5 kits and 12 quail along with a full time job. My dog is walked first thing on a morning and then again on a night, my ferrets are cleaned out on a morning and on a night they are left ferret biscuits on a morning and meat on a night and funny enough I manage to get to work and spend a bit of time with the wife.all my animals are.fed and cleaned out before I feed myself before or after work.There are stacks of blokes on here who will do the same, stacks of blokes who have enough land that they can keep their animals fed year round. I don't see why it's so hard to believe? Cat food is for cats it's just that simple, if it was for every other carnivorous animal it would be called universal carnivore feed, good quality ferret feed is a country mile better than any cat feed I have ever seen and if you do a little research online you will see this is true. If you feed your ferrets cat food that's fine, feed it to your kids too if you really want to but I just hope that any newbies reading this post will do a little research before they decide it's ok to feed their ferrets on cat food. By the way I was only kidding about the kids eating cat food. However you wouldn't feed your kids on turkey twizlers for every meal, just because they would survive doesn't mean it's good for them, it's the same with your pets, invest in something decent it's nut hugely more expensive to feed them good quality stuff. I am not going to belittle the way you hunt or anything like that but if you can't give your animals the care they deserve should you really have them?

I bought a jill off an old bloke in the 1980s..fed on Bread/milk/eggs... it was what we now called a MIcro...lol. . . the first time it sunk its teeth into a live bunny it was like a little vampire....heheee.

Fella I know feeds his on the cheapest dog biscuits you could buy...probably worse than Wag..I wouldn't give it to a dog,Never mind the ferrets...But he wont be told. .. his ferrets graft well,but are skinny and are more in search for food mode than " I love this hunting malarky mode ".

At the end of the day its up to us to do whats best for our little workers..If I thought/knew/factually proven that some form of complete biscuit or stuff in a tin etc was the best possible food for my ferrets or dogs... I would be using it.

I wouldn't be feeding my cat on them biscuits ( if I had a cat )... My dogs don't get any complete type biscuits.

Its very very easy to feed a Raw diet to your team and that should include the ferrets..Its not expensive..its not time consuming if you plan ahead and make sure you got a nice big chest freezer.

You can make all the excuses in the world for this /that and the other for feeding them shite. . But even feeding them shite costs more money than feeding them well in my book.

For a wanky shitty sack of cat food at £10 ... I could feed my ferts on 30lb of fine quality fresh minced chicken carcasses.. that would last a long time. And they thrive on it. . . there's endless amounts of free ferret food if you use your noggin..It dont have to be rabbits all year round and believe me they love a variety and different things to taste..

Could you imagine having "Kellogs All Bran" as your only source of food intake for your whole life... Wow ! Think about it..

The poor little ferret is very underestimated and thought of as a means to an end for many hunting folk... But they are worthy of much more admiration and understanding if you really do love what we do in the name of hunting/pest control etc etc.

I really do think they are also a lot more intelligent than any of us give them credit for.... But that's for another thread...lol

post-11815-0-27342000-1436010177_thumb.jpg

Good points there Magic Mike.... :yes:

Whilst I am no nutritionist,...I have in the past,..worked two teams of ferrets on a daily basis...

This is where the feeding and general conditioning of a working animal is put to the test .

To work a full shift,.especially in deep chalk,...a ferret has to be in tip-top condition , both physically and mentally...

There is no substitute for a hunting critter, dog or ferret , that realy wants to do the business, but in order to achieve this goal,..he must be in superb yarak,...and in my opinion,.good food is paramount.... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

Just shows you can't control the problem,you must be the only one ferreting around the dales need to cut down on the amount you feed them in the winter their falling a sleep in the burrows,bolt one or two and you think there the best thing since sliced bread,milky doe.

You tell him fly boy,,,

• Like 2

Rabbits 7 months,then freezer is empty,dry cat nuts and pigeon when I can get them,how can you feed rabbit this time of year like to see the size of your freezer :huh:.If I did like some lads on here kill rabbits this time of year would have very little for the winter.Just cruel killing rabbits this time of year.Very easy to fill freezer with rabbits.One ferreting trip.How do you still have rabbits left from February,Shooting 3\4 rabbits is bull, there is not enough meat on them to feed an army of ferrets.

Why is it cruel to kill rabbits this time of year and not in the winter...

Does are not feeding young rabbits in the winter,if you are going to kill milky does in the summer,young rabbits will be dying for days in the burrows. Young rabbits suffering for days not what the hunting game is about. If you have to clear a farm killing milky does make sure you get the young and not cause suffering to the rabbits. They surely deserve that.

I breed my own for the table, the dog and the ferts. I feed em on a few pellets and feck loads of weeds. Damn cheap way of getting good meat and compost ;)