Dry Food.

Hi all.with the summer here and the dammed flies that accompany it.I've been feeding my stock dry cat food.adding a little warm water for the kits.all are thriving well and dung more solid.easy cleaning and less flies= less earache from herself. Oh yeah just incase people will say ,get a bag of dry Ferret food then its simple as this .15kg dry cat kibble is 10quid.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Struggling to see how lads are struggling to feed the ferrets flesh year round.   You heard of chest freezers?   Don't you're dogs pick the odd bunny up on walks?   Don't you have an air rifle?

Didnt mean to be sarcastic pal, so i apologise, but in my opinion, you are depriving them of their natural diet, meat n bone, i get the flies, but i deal with it, if you must feed biscuits, then cat b

If you feed the cheapest possible bag of cat food that is the same as feeding your dog Wagg or some similar crap made up of floor sweepings, feathers, beaks, grain, beet pulp, soya and God knows what

Posted Images

Didnt mean to be sarcastic pal, so i apologise, but in my opinion, you are depriving them of their natural diet, meat n bone, i get the flies, but i deal with it, if you must feed biscuits, then cat biscuits are a no no, get a bag of proper ferret grub

atb keith

• Like 5

i used to feed raw meat in the summer months for years,and kept the ferrets close to the house for security reasons,the wife usedto go ballisticabout the number of bluebottles that used to get in the kitchen and on the worktops, still feed flesh in winter months,but all dry this time of year,justgot to watchweight gain on the ferrets

If you feed the cheapest possible bag of cat food that is the same as feeding your dog Wagg or some similar crap made up of floor sweepings, feathers, beaks, grain, beet pulp, soya and God knows what else. It certainly won't contain the quality meat and bone needed for good health and still less for ferrets that need more of less a meat only diet. Savings made now will repay you in kind in the long run with sick ferrets that die younger.

• Like 3

Same here got a dozen ferrets there fed meat all year round , feed at night move the remains in the morning , and fly bags will cut down the flys .

Coneykenny there ferrets qwhy you givening them cat food ?.

• Like 1

All mine except two are on rabbit/pigeon etc all year round (feed last thing at night) however I have two jills who will be starting their eighth seasons graft come sept,these two will not touch flesh in any form,so I have to give them dry.Tried to move them onto James Wellbeloved and Ferret Feast it just makes them loose and lose condition,they thrive on cheap Tesco dried catfood,which is what the breeder fed them on,thought I would wean them off it slowly onto flesh but they wont have it :icon_eek: TBH if saw my ferrets you wouldn't be able to tell which are on flesh/dry,by choice Id much rather they were on flesh,but they don't appear to be suffering from the lack of it :thumbs:

All mine except two are on rabbit/pigeon etc all year round (feed last thing at night) however I have two jills who will be starting their eighth seasons graft come sept,these two will not touch flesh in any form,so I have to give them dry.Tried to move them onto James Wellbeloved and Ferret Feast it just makes them loose and lose condition,they thrive on cheap Tesco dried catfood,which is what the breeder fed them on,thought I would wean them off it slowly onto flesh but they wont have it :icon_eek: TBH if saw my ferrets you wouldn't be able to tell which are on flesh/dry,by choice Id much rather they were on flesh,but they don't appear to be suffering from the lack of it :thumbs:

put a picture up of your ferrets back teeth :yes: and you'll be able to tell which are fed on flesh/dry easily

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 3

put a picture up of your ferrets back teeth :yes: and you'll be able to tell which are fed on flesh/dry easily

Y.I.S Leeview

I haven't got a clue on how to put pics up Lee,Im not recommending the use of dry food....Im just stating that they can live quite happily on it,Ive tried stopping feeding them for a day or two in an attempt to get them on flesh ,in all honesty I think theyd die before eating it :censored: Whats more bizarre is when I have bred the two jills over the years the kits were weaned on carcasses which the mother would drag to the nest for them,and still wouldn't touch it herself...so they do recognise it as foodstuff :hmm: I even tried mixing minced rabbit with lactose free milk to get them onto it,the remains on the dish looked like it had been sieved :laugh: Their teeth by the way are in good nick,showing their age a bit maybe,but no decay and never had absceses etc :thumbs: