Just a quick question. We are soon going to be inheriting a elephants foot that was turned into a small table soon. It's coming to my Mrs from her gran. Now the story goes that when her grandad (or his dad not sure) were young and living in a country them called sallon(?) there was a rouge elephant that killed villagers so him and others went out to kill it. The foot is his trophy from that. You ask me it sounds a bit romanticised and maybe he just went out and shot one who knows.

Is there a legal problem with owning a elephant foot. I ask as someone told me before you need papers for certain taxidermy and nothing will come with this foot.

Just didn't fancy the firearms bloke coming round and leaving with it under his arm

I recall seeing one on Bargain Hunt some time ago, and I'm pretty sure that they said if it's pre-1937, you're OK.

I think the country you mean is Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)

Cheers, any thoughts on how they might date it? had a little look at the name booth from ceylon and theirs quite a bit of ancestry on it online. Might be able to date it from that

What does it matter? If it's in your house there's not much chance of anyone bothering you about it.

Good point

That's it pal and he can always hide it if he thinks he's getting a visit from the firearms officer

What does it matter? If it's in your house there's not much chance of anyone bothering you about it.

lol apart from the fact hes just told the world about it ,,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :laugh: they used to use them as unbrella stands years ago .i dont think there very popular today

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...