The Bronze Barbel.....

It was only a small one at 6lb 9 oz, but fought well. I use 15lb line for my barbel fishing so i can get a hard, short fight and then release them with plenty of energy left. I don't like the idea of protracted battles on light line for such fish. Many years ago I used to sack all my barbel up to recover, but today I simply get them in quicker and release them straight away and they all swim off strongly.... :victory:

We call it "bullying the fish in" it's common practice with catch and release in still water trout. Thick gauge hooks help as well, minimising mouth damage.

Lots of fishermen (especially coarse fishermen) underestimate the energy that fish put into their fight and "carefully" playing such hard fighting fish such as Barbel, Trout, etc can be killing them with kindness.

• Like 1

It was only a small one at 6lb 9 oz, but fought well. I use 15lb line for my barbel fishing so i can get a hard, short fight and then release them with plenty of energy left. I don't like the idea of protracted battles on light line for such fish. Many years ago I used to sack all my barbel up to recover, but today I simply get them in quicker and release them straight away and they all swim off strongly.... :victory:

We call it "bullying the fish in" it's common practice with catch and release in still water trout. Thick gauge hooks help as well, minimising mouth damage.

Lots of fishermen (especially coarse fishermen) underestimate the energy that fish put into their fight and "carefully" playing such hard fighting fish such as Barbel, Trout, etc can be killing them with kindness.

I've said the same thing myself to people on the bank about not messing about getting them in quick . You see them panic as a barbel puts a bend in the rod so they lower the tip and slacken the clutch and end up playing them for time and then when they land them they take them straight out of the water instead of giving them a rest in the net before unhooking them . With strong gear and a tight clutch they have to work to take line and you can get them in fairly quick and a rest in the water before and after unhooking will minimise them going belly up further downstream . Some of the worst I've seen over playing fish are on tv . Maybe the sight and sound of the clutch spinning and taking ages to land a double figure carp looks better for the camera but then preaching about fish care after doing that and while the carps on the bank for ages sends out the wrong message .

• Like 3

Pellets soaking in the glug pot. I've had this glug on the go for 7 years now, just top it up with marine halibut oil every season......it proper stinks but the big barbel love it!

i soak mine the same jd or some in hemp oil we need some rain here to get the water and oxygen levels up a bit will give it a bash next week going to give lamprey pellet a bash got some on order