Leics Bushing.

oz0707

Anyone off here near Leics? My bitch has had a bit of success but I can't help thinking she could do with seeing a good experienced dog out n about.

Do you lot think it brings them on better?

If there is anyone and fancy a mooch let me know

I am hoping to get another busher sometime in the future to work alongside the one i have at the mo, in the meantime i wish i had someone to get out with as well as i am sure getting her out with another dog will have a positive effect on her esp if it's a seasoned worker. I'm also worried that if i leave it to late she may not want to hunt with other dogs. atb daywalker.

I'm in south Leics but I don't really have experience dogs. One of mine is a good worker, the other hangs about outside and only heads in when the other is behind something. The lurcher is doing well.

I got worried about this, but I have learnt to let the dog work it out, I have tried mine on her own but she shows even less interest She is a bit pap by all means. I don't think it makes much difference if a dog is a good busher, it'll do it or it won't.

One thing a dog can take a while to get going.

• Like 1

Seems were all in the same boat

Mine doesn't mind getting in and grafting but tends to miss what's right infront of her!

What type of terrier do you have and how old is she.... Mine used to do the same when i first got her, also she would follow a fresh scent in the wrong direction now and again which was annoying.

Have you noticed if you try to 'direct' the dog you make things worse?

It can get frustrating to say the least. When i first got her she was like a headless chicken on a fresh scent but she's a little calmer now. Just want to add tozer your dog is still young if i'm wright so she could still make the grade, hope she does fella. atb daywalker.

• Like 1

Mines a jack x patterdale. Only young still about 1yr. I notice her pick up the scent. Like others sometimes she will go the wrong way with it. It where the rabbits have been sitting before we approach, rather than into cover.

Agree that saying less is better. Bit hard when you can see the bunny few yards infront but she can't cause of the 3ft high grass! This is why I thought be good to get her out with seasoned pros

• Like 2

Mines a jack x patterdale. Only young still about 1yr. I notice her pick up the scent. Like others sometimes she will go the wrong way with it. It where the rabbits have been sitting before we approach, rather than into cover.

Agree that saying less is better. Bit hard when you can see the bunny few yards infront but she can't cause of the 3ft high grass! This is why I thought be good to get her out with seasoned pros

I would say don't worry about dog seeing rabbits you want it using its nose when entering cover,just what iv picked up on
  • Like 1

Took me back this thread to my little bitch Jack Russell that died of seasonal canine disorder when she was 7. She was the younger of both my jacks and took it on her self to do the lurcher thing and hold on outside the bush. She did venture in the bushes when it took her fancy or if she was up the arse of the rabbit, but most of the time she sort of filled the role between lurcher and busher......could be very frustrating........I had no chance of changing her style as much as I wanted to some days.

• Like 2

Took me back this thread to my little bitch Jack Russell that died of seasonal canine disorder when she was 7. She was the younger of both my jacks and took it on her self to do the lurcher thing and hold on outside the bush. She did venture in the bushes when it took her fancy or if she was up the arse of the rabbit, but most of the time she sort of filled the role between lurcher and busher......could be very frustrating........I had no chance of changing her style as much as I wanted to some days.

Exactly what mine is doing, can be frustrating, but it is what it is, the other day the lurcher flushed one out of the long grass, she was facing the hedge, and it bolted straight past her inches away into the hedge, it was a bit like WTF dog, she didn't even seem to flinch, the the next thing she isn't missing a trick.

• Like 2