Homemade Night Vision Problem

For my .22 PCP Marauder I put together a night vision setup with a 1/3" Sony Effio-e 700TVL DSP OSD DWDR board camera with 16mm MTV lens, .01 LUX. Problem is the scope reticle image displayed on the monitor is very faint and out of focus. I am using a Evola 809 mini OSRAM 850nm Ultra Long Range IR Illuminator. Maybe my camera setup (OSD) wrong? Would possibly a 12mm lens work better? Any inputs are appreciated.

I have tried all the adjustments you mentioned and many others. I think the problem is my camera sensor has an IR filter. I am going to try and remove it once I get the appropriate soldering iron.

Question: If a lens says "IR" does that mean it is not filtered for IR light? Alternatively if a lens does not say "IR" does that mean it is IR filtered?

Thanks again for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Have u taking the square ir filter off ur camera lens?

For focus problem have u camera set to about 1.5" away from scope then turn lens on camera until focus on my efforts 1/3 cam I had to remove the the camera lens locking ring to let lense in far enough to focus

• 2 weeks later...

you dont need to remove the ir filter,ive been using mine out to 250-300 yds for 3.5 years without a problem,your scope should be on minimum mag and your parallax turned right down,offer the cam up to the scope to check it and if its working ok remount it,then you just turn the cameras lens to focus on the crosshairs (taking it off and then turning a little and replacing)keep turning the lens in or out until the crosshairs are clear as a bell and remounting,once this is done you shouldnt have to alter it unless you swap gun/scopes....all the other zoom/parallax/mag is done in the usual way once the camera is perfect on the crosshairs.A 12mm lens will give you a smaller round picture in the middle of your your screen,16mm is full cross hairs on your screen (from side to side),neither will make a difference to your focus issue.Removing the ir filter from your camera ruins the daytime picture (i film during the day so left mine on) but if you will only be using it at night you can remove it and it will use the ir light better,but again this wont help the issue you have.Just remember your camera only needs to focus on your crosshairs 4-6 cm in front of it,all the other work is done by your scope in the usual way.

• Like 1